e46 325ci

i live in london and have a e46 325ci,i've noticed when i go over bumps there's a knocking noise coming from the passenger front wheel,when i drive on smooth roads it's ok,what could the problem be?

Reply to
coolbreeze

Control arm bushings - a weak point on the E46.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

Reply to
coolbreeze

lift the wheel, then see if any play at all. pry the arm a little. mine is going on a e34 and thats what the mechanic did

Reply to
Jules

Reply to
coolbreeze

Another cheaper item that makes the same noise: Sway bar link.

To check it, crawl under the car with weight still on the wheels and wiggle the link. If it moves, it's bad.

If you jack the car up, the arm will be loaded and a bad one will test "good". (Don't ask me how I know this.)

Reply to
Thomas Wright

because you checked it with it up in the air :-)

Reply to
Jules

This will be your ball joint.

One side went at 80K miles and the other at 90K miles on my 330ci.

Need to replace the wishbone, costs about 160 pounds for the part (per side) plus labour..

Let us know how you get on...

Reply to
Pashlipops

Another weak spot on the E46.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

=2E.and the E30 and E36 and control arms or links in general on every BMW will need to be replaced at some point.

Don't forget that the balljoints are mounted in rubber so there will be some movement even with a new one. More usually it's the rubber control arm bush that has worn but it's not a bad idea to replace the whole wishbone unless you're paying BMW prices.

Reply to
adder1969