E46 330ci squealing clutch

For some time now the clutch on my 2005 330ci has given a squeal when i start it from cold. That is if I start it up in the morning the engine fires and at the same time or
just after there's a short squeal, regardless of whether I'm depressing the clutch pedal or not. Using the clutch to get out of the garage also results in squeals, but after maybe ten seconds or so the squealing has stopped. It appears again if the car is left standing for more than about 8 hours, so I'm assuming it must be temperature related. I can't imagine it's the release bearing because the car has done only about 20k miles.
Has anyone an idea what this could be?
stuart

Belt slipping, tighten / replace.
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

That's exactly what it sounds like - a slipping fan belt. But how could the squeal occur only when I use the clutch?

Different kind of load on the engine? Mine does it. It's not really something I would have expected on a 40k+ car.
adder1969 wrote:

I know, it's embarrassing!!!
I doubt it's the clutch, especially since you stated it doesn't matter if the pedal is held down or not. My vote is on the serpentine belt or one of the pullies associated with it.

stuart wrote:

Sounds like maybe it's just the serpentine belt that is squeeling, not the clutch. If there is no pressure on the clutch pedal when it happens I'm thinking it's not that.
Try listening with the hood open while you have someone else start it first thing in the AM.
--
-Fred W