E46 Auto lock when you go over 20mph?!?!.....true?

Hello all,
I have read that you can switch on an autolock on the E46 bmw range. when your car goes over a certian speed the doors lock automatically!!
I think its a great idea, but i went on to read that only the dealer can turn this function on?
Is the above true, or is they pulling me leg!
If so, can i turn this on, rather then the dealer?
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yes it is true...this must be programmed by the dealer. It is the same with the installation of an alarm which can only be activiated by a dealer among many other items...

IIRC, it's one of the "key memory" options programmed by the dealer. Mine lock at about 4 mph.
Tom K.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:20:04 -0400, "Tom K."

The dealer will usually change key and car memory options for free if you ask nicely while the car is in his shop for other work. If *all* you want is the programming to be changed, then you should expect to pay for it. Which seems reasonable to me. But what do I know?
--
Dan.

If *ALL* I want to do is reprogam user comfort features, then my view is that one pays for it in the cost of the car and BMW should provide some means for paying customers to adjust these themselves without a visit to main dealers.

in a perfect world yes, but that is not the way it works! my dealer offerred to do it while they do other work so I wouldn't have to pay... BUT I never go to the stealer anyway, so I let it go.
I am surprised that you cannot buy PC software to do it (and all the other options) using an OBDII cable.
Tom K. wrote:

With concerns about car-jacking, surely they should lock *below* a certain speed???
La Tercia Real

It locks the door at about 3 mph (=when you start driving) and doesnt unlock until you manually open your door or press the unlock button. This means your doors are locked as soon as you start to drive which I beleive is a good basic protection.
Brilliant thanks guys!
My next service is in 6500 Miles!!! might do it before then :)

Only the dealer (or a person with dealers equipment) can do this. On newer cars (E60) you can do it from iDrive menu yourself.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm sure glad that mine doesn't do anything so annoying...