E46 Coupe Query

Dear All

I am toying with buying a c. 2001/2002 325ci or 330ci. Plan to go to a dealers and do some tests drives over the xmas period.

In the UK (where I am) they seem to come in two spec levels, SE and Sport.

Does anyone know the suspension setup, I know the Sport has 'sport' suss, but does the SE coupe also have 'sporty' suss vs the standard

4-door saloon for example?

Also, the Sport comes with the lovelly 18" MV alloys but did the SE come with 16 or 17" wheels, I see both sizes featuring, were the lower profile 17s an upgrade option?

Regards

David

Reply to
northdavid

afaik the suspension on the SE is standard and only the sport is different (along with interior trim and seats). For me, I'd go with the sport as you can easily find one with all the toys and IMHO it looks better than the SE. Those MV alloys are a sod to clean though and don't forget the difference in tyre costs between 17" and 18" if you're going for more expensive rubber.

Both the 325 and 330 are great cars. I'd choose a 330 as the economy difference for me would be negliable and the extra little bit of performance would be welcome as sometimes, in some situations the 325 needs to be worked hard to get the best from it.

Reply to
TonyK

It *used* to be that all coupes had sport suspension and all SEs were 4 doors with regular suspension (as standard) but I don't think that is necessarily the case with the E46. Possibily the coupe is sportier than the saloon with the sport sportier than the coupe. The sport suspension isn't great and if you can get a deal on a regular coupe and you're not too worried about the looks then aftermarket suspension is probably better. You can also pick up sets of MV wheels on ebay if you want them.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks for the replies guys.

My thoughts regarding the 330 vs 325 were similar, from web/colleague based (not driving ) research it would suggest fueld economy is v=2Esimilar for the two, insurance is about =A380pa more for the 330ci over the 325ci.....as you point out it's quite a bit more powerful.

I've currently got a 1.6 mark 4 vw golf , so either will be a jump, my other considered option is a 3yr old vw gti turbo 180bhp (late models were available in 180bhp). Which I guess will be a bit cheaper to run.

I like the Sport trim (wheels, steering wheel, sport seats) but I am concerned the MV wheels are a little too flash for *me* and the tyre cost is scary (although I only do about 8,000miles a year)..............

My inclination is, subject to trying both, and assuming the SE suss was 'relatively' sporty compared to a normal saloon SE, go for an SE with the 17" wheels (which look pretty good) to save rubber =A3=A3=A3s.

Are the normal seats 'okay'?

David

Reply to
northdavid

18s aren't that much more expensive than 17" and if you only do 8k a year tyre cost isn't really an issue. If you don't like the MVs then swap them for something else. You'll get over the flashness.

The BMW is *completely* different to the Golf so I suggest you do some test drives. We can't tell you what you want.

Reply to
adder1969

Fair point regarding tyres and indeed 'flashness', the sports do look v.nice indeed.

Likewise on the drive, I've driven plenty of Gti t's and some older bmw's and a couple of compacts.............suffice to say I will need to get out and try a coupe or two.

Having driven Golfs for 6yrs it will be odd!

Thanks for the comments

David

Reply to
northdavid

Similar to the golf the 3 has become heavier and heavier over it's lifetime but it should be *so* much better than a golf.

Reply to
adder1969

18s aren't that much more expensive than 17" and if you only do 8k a year tyre cost isn't really an issue. If you don't like the MVs then swap them for something else. You'll get over the flashness.

The BMW is *completely* different to the Golf so I suggest you do some test drives. We can't tell you what you want.

============

Just be aware that your insurance may stipulate a suitably speed rated tyre which in 18" could be £150 each for a decent brand. Personally I wouldn;t drive a 330 on a dodgy cheapo :-O

Reply to
TonyK

Indeed, the new Gti, which is getting good reviews, is a company car option but the associated tax puts me off.

My brother bought an old totally original E30 g-plate 325i Sport for a fun/2nd car the other week, as he'd always fancied one, it's great! Which led me to think about getting one myself, those straigh 6s sound great compared to a 1.8t cyl.

Regarding tyres, no chance I would put cheap rubber on and am mindful of the costs, hence consideration of 17" wheels

I suppose the mileage out of them varies, what do you guys 'generally' get, on my golf I managed 32k on the rears and 20k on the front!!

David

Reply to
northdavid

RE040s are =A320 more for 18s than 17s in the same speed rating which I hope wouldn't brake the bank. 17s will ride better most probably. All depends what you want.

Reply to
adder1969

Definitely go for the M-Sports Package (Suspension, not body alone). They have lower ride height and much reliable than non-sports counterpart. I don't think there's a difference between the std. suspension on a coupe or saloon.

My E46 (an SE saloon) had all the suspension components gone with just 45K on the clock and now very happy with Eibach springs and Koni shocks.

Beware of the rear shock mount as they are prone to failure (rattles at the back) especially if you have firmer shocks (sports package)

Brian Lam