E46 De-Sport

I find my 2002 330 convertible sport's ride is too harsh on our poor roads.. I have two broken rear springs presumably due to potholes. Should I fit
standard ones (33 53 6 750 756) or replace like for like sport ones? I'm told the ride height would be 20mm higher on standard ones which does not concern me but would there be any negative effects?
Thanks for advice
David
David Haggas wrote:

If you are going to replace the rear sport springs with non-sport, you should find out what else is different and do _everything_. The softer rear springs by themselves would tend to increase understeer, but I'm not what sure the corresponding increase in rear ride height would do. What I am sure of is that the car's balance will not be what it was. I would personally either completely "de-sport" the car or replace the springs using the original part numbers. (Since I love the way the E46 sport package handles, I know which I would choose.)
By the way, I doubt potholes have anything to do with the broken springs. Gravel (or other hard, sharp-edged debris) creating nicks in the springs that led to failure seems much more likely.
--
JRE

Thanks for the advice. I was unaware of what makes the springs break. (My E30 had one in 20 years). Changing (all) the springs to standard ones might achieve that extra compliance I'm after. On the other hand that might not make >enough< difference without the "full" package of different struts/shocks as you say. I must try it and find out.
David
David Haggas wrote:

It's a moderately common problem on the E46 so ignore all the 'it's your driving' crap.

Frankly, the E46 SE does not have what I'd call a compliant ride on 16" tyres, so IIWY I'd just put some new sports springs in. Otherwise you might find you've spent a forture and still aren't happy!
--
Scott

Good advice. Sport springs ordered.
David

You could always park that piece-of-crap 330Ci with Sports Package and loads of other goodies at my house and let me see if I can muster up the strenght to deal with it for a few years. If I can't stand it, I'll just part it out for your. Anything I can do to help, just let me know ...

Not a bad idea. I'll stick with my (much preferred) E30 325 Sport

I could come get it, if you leaving here isn't convenient for you ... You don't even have to pay me. I'll donate my time and services.
I have an E36 325i Convertible (which they don't call a 325Ci, for some reason), and would really love to have an E46 330Ci in the garage. I could turn my E36 into the project car and fix the stuff that I don't deal with because I need it on the road instead. (I have lots of cosmetic stuff to work on, but the car is 16 years old and the list is pretty short when the years are considered.)

My E46 is a convertible. I just got new sport springs and the car is transformed. One spring was broken top and bottom. The ride is better and the sun is out. Why do they call them Ci's?
On Sun, 30 May 2010 17:12:57 +0100, "David Haggas"
"C"onvertible, fuel "i"njection.

So C for Coupe too?
On Sun, 30 May 2010 19:16:43 +0100, "David Haggas"

It may stand for "C"oal burner, as well. :-)
There's a good joke that only works for Merkin pronunciation and phraseology:
Why does a chicken coop have two doors?
Because if it had four doors, it would be a chicken sedan.
<rimshot>
Dean Dark wrote:

Boo. 8)

Not quite. The (US) coupes were C as in 330Ci and the convertibles were Cic or CiC. The wagons were T as in 330iT, but the current E91 is simply a 328i "Sport Wagon"
Tom
Scott M wrote:

? I'd call the E46 sport-package "compliant". Firm, but compliant. Definately so on 16" wheels.

And on 17" as well.
Tom

I don't think the potholes are the problem. If you are hitting so many potholes that the springs are breaking, you need a truck.

Just bad uneven roads that shake everything. I've since heard the E46 rears are prone to breaking - I assume that's standard as well as sport.
On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:02:20 +0100, "David Haggas"

There is an e46 "issue" with cracks in rear axle supports in the subframe that BMW will inspect and repair for free. But that doesn't seem to be your problem.