E46 M3 Clutch pedal question

The car in question is a 2005 M3 with a manual trans. I have about 1500 miles on the car.
yesterday as I started the car in the parking lot after leaving work I
tried to get something from my left pant pocket. In doing this I apparently pushed a little harder on the clutch pedal, that was already all the way down, and it went down about another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and about the same distance to the left!
I relaxed the pressure on the pedal and it returned to the original fully depressed position. I again applied additional pressure and it went down and to the left the additional 1/2 to 3/4 as it did the first time.
I nervously left the parking lot and drove about a mile and came to a stop light. I tried the additional force on the fully depressed pedal and it stayed where it was suppose to.
Is this normal or do I need to get the car in for service?
Thanks, R.C.

There's a little screw-in stop on the floorboards - they can break and allow too much slop. Check to see if the cheap plastic stop has broken and is acting as a ramp that forces the pedal off to the side.
Floyd
Floyd,
That diagnosis was real close to the problem.
There is actually enough side movement that if the pedal is near the edge of the stop (actually a rubber washer in this case) it can slide off the edge of the washer with additional pressure as you suggested.
Is this side to side slop normal?
R.C.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:01:52 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"

My guess is: "yes". The washer thingy is a screw-in piece that costs a few dollars. I broke mine stretching with my foot on the clutch, it was replaced under warranty. I'm guessing that it's purpose is to prevent the pedal's joints from getting to a position that allows a lot of flex (fully depressed.)
Floyd
Floyd,
Thanks for your help.
R.C.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:29:03 -0700, "fbloogyudsr"

Nothing to worry about.
There is a stopper that sets the travel of the pedal, but when you went into your pocket, you managed to press the pedal sideways a little bit, and it slid off of the stopper. This is normal. Of course, you should try to avoid pressing the pedal from the side, but there is nothing here that needs the attention of the service department.

Jeff,
Thanks for your response.
R.C.
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:00:48 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"

You're welcome.
I wondered the same thing the first time I did this. My first thought was, oh shit. Then I worked the pedal again and it worked right. then, I tried applying pressure from the side, and it fell off the stopper.