E46 runs out of gas

Page 2 of 2

No - it simply computes the tank contents - given by the fuel gauge - against the instantaneous fuel consumption - given by injector opening and speed/distance sensor.
Most likely fault is the fuel gauge sender in the tank.
--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Actually, it seems the fuel consumption is a buffered average of some sort as the range does not vary immediately when you accelerate or decelerate. It takes a while after a change in driving style before the range changes. But it will not retain that average for very long, such as from a previous driver.
--
-Fred W

I was referring to the 'miles till empty' - and that does react quickly especially when the fuel is low. A cold start followed by gentle driving will show it count *up*...
--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I was too, and that hasn't been my experience.
--
-Fred W

I've seen it count up. I guess it depends on your definition of "gentle driving".

As in how you should always drive until it warms up?
--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

It's best to have my type of 'miles left' counter.
It shows zero but I still can go a few miles (thankfully....)
It's not a BMW, BTW.
DAS
"Fred W" <Malt_Hound@*spam-me-not*yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ucadnVnO7feBrfbYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

18 months ago I was stuck in France with 120 miles to go and a MILES to EMPTY showing 75.
French 24 hour petrol stations DO NOT TAKE ANY CREDIT CARD other than a FRENCH one..... BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got to Cherbourg with the MTE showing 9miles. Hotel for the night. Morning started on a hill and MTE showing 0 (zero) I managed the 3 miles to the ferry port. Drove onto the Ferry -- Managed to get off at Portsmouth - Phew! Running on fumes. Managed the half mile to the nearest gas station and filled up with 89litres and the tank is only supposed to hold 78ish.
Lesson - always carry a 2 gall can in France or open a French bank account.
Sir Hugh of Bognor

Gee, they take my *US* credit cards just fine! ;->
FloydR

Mine too. We must be doing something wrong.
-- Larry

Yes they take mine too in PERSON at a cash desk but NOT in automatic pay at the pump gas stations. This also is true for some hypermarket gas stations which have been converted to pay by card at the pump - no cash desk option.
Honestly............. if you can use a non French CC or debit card in a pay at the pump gas station then I retract but I know so many that have been caught out like this. No cash option no person to operate a card machine just card payment at the pump in France only accept French cards.
Sir Hugh of Bognor

They take any CC over the counter but NOT in automatic gas vending pumps.

Sir Hugh of Bognor