E46 runs out of gas

I've seen it count up. I guess it depends on your definition of "gentle driving".

Reply to
spammers_lie

As in how you should always drive until it warms up?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I keep seeing this type of comment. But I don't get it.

A moving car vibrates a lot and so any insoluble junk would be moving about the tank anyway.

Plus: what junk? Tank comes clean from the manufacturer. Petrol is clean, is it not?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

It's best to have my type of 'miles left' counter.

It shows zero but I still can go a few miles (thankfully....)

It's not a BMW, BTW.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote

In addition, AFAIK, the fuel is sucked in from the bottom of the tank, so if there was indeed some junk (heavier than the fuel), it would get sucked in first, regardless if the tank was full or nearly empty.

Cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Sorry Jeff - No Insult meant or intended ------- but if you know that it lies?????

Just a thought - have you looked at the tank lately? Any dents? Careless garage dimbos have been known to stick a trolley jack under a car without looking especially fast fit tyre shops.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

If it is WHY do we have a FUEL FILTER fitted?

No my friend gas / petrol is not clean when it gets to you. It might leave the refinery in tip top condition then it is put into lorries with a tank that has access holes where dirt can get in. then it's put into big steel containers in the ground at places called gas stations or petrol stations. Sometimes it is shipped across the world in rusty ships that occasionally sink!

Then you open the tank cap and grab a nozzle and stuff it into the filler neck and bits get chipped off etc. Then with condensation in the tank the steel turns into Ferric Oxide or RUST and this flakes off into the petrol and is hopefully filtered out by the FUEL FILTER........................

Hugh

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

18 months ago I was stuck in France with 120 miles to go and a MILES to EMPTY showing 75.

French 24 hour petrol stations DO NOT TAKE ANY CREDIT CARD other than a FRENCH one..... BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to Cherbourg with the MTE showing 9miles. Hotel for the night. Morning started on a hill and MTE showing 0 (zero) I managed the 3 miles to the ferry port. Drove onto the Ferry -- Managed to get off at Portsmouth - Phew! Running on fumes. Managed the half mile to the nearest gas station and filled up with

89litres and the tank is only supposed to hold 78ish.

Lesson - always carry a 2 gall can in France or open a French bank account.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

Gee, they take my *US* credit cards just fine! ;->

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Mine too. We must be doing something wrong.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

They take any CC over the counter but NOT in automatic gas vending pumps.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg

Yes they take mine too in PERSON at a cash desk but NOT in automatic pay at the pump gas stations. This also is true for some hypermarket gas stations which have been converted to pay by card at the pump - no cash desk option.

Honestly............. if you can use a non French CC or debit card in a pay at the pump gas station then I retract but I know so many that have been caught out like this. No cash option no person to operate a card machine just card payment at the pump in France only accept French cards.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

hsg