E46 Screeching noise on turning right

Hi,
I have a 2003 model 330ci convertible (in the UK) and I have noticed a high pitched screeching sound when turning right at slow speeds. It only happens
if the car is moving, i.e. if I just turn the steering wheel to the right whilst stationary, no noise occurs. At higher speeds, even a slight turn to the right causes a metallic grinding sound (but this is only noticeable with the window down) - There is no noise in a straight line or turning left.
What I would like to know is, does this sound potentially dangerous? Should I stop driving the car immediately?
I shall be taking it to a BMW dealer shortly anyway - what is the likely cause of this kind of thing? Is it likely to be expensive to fix?
Many thanks, DW.
DW Manchester wrote:

An obvious error. You have inadvertently received one of the limited-production NASCAR special editions. You car believes you are about to crash into The Wall, and is expressing anguish. These versions are supposed to only be sold in the Southeast U.S. Point this out to your nearest BMW service location and they will gladly replace your vehicle for a new one appropriate to the general public.

You need a higher speed-rated girlfriend.