E46 self-adjusting Xenon lights

My 02 330 xi was just lowered (H&R sport springs, Koni sport shocks) When I did this the front lowered more than the rear to the point the headlights pointed down at the ground.

I adjusted the star-shaped knob on each headlamp so they would point higher.

But now the auto-leveling feature doesn't move at all...I think since I adjusted them so high with the star knob that I'm at the top of the auto-leveling range.

Can the entire headlight unit be adjusted UP? Then I can lower the headlight and the auto-leveling feature will work again.

Anybody experience this?

Thanks. Tom

Reply to
Tom

The dash adjuster is to lower the lights dues to a heavy load at the back. It doesn't allow them to go higher than factory pre-set. In other words, normal is fully 'up'.

The self levelling relies on sensors on the suspension etc. It might possible to set it up for different suspension heights but it's something you'd need a workshop manual and proper beam setter for. But having looked inside a few headlight assemblies there's often not much in the way of room to tilt the actual reflector unit much above the norm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The sensor is on the right front lower control arm. I think with a little ingenuity it wouldn't be to hard to shorten the rod that goes from the sensor to the lower control arm. Its also possible that you might be able to "clock" the arm thats coming out of the sensor to get the headlights where you want.

There are plenty of lowered E46's running around. How has everyone else taken care of this ?

Reply to
Thomas Wright