e46 Transmission Fluid

My 323i is slow to engage in reverse when cold. I thought this might be caused by low transmission fluid however there is no dipstick and no information in the owners manual.

How can I check the fluid level?

TIA

Reply to
George W. Barrowcliff

If the fluid level was so low as to cause problems engaging reverse, it wouldn't engage other gears either. Basically most jobs are done by hydraulic pressure and if the pump input is below the level of the fluid at all times you should be ok.

There's a filler plug on the side which also sets the max level.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

Reply to
bfd