E46 wheels and tires

Page 1 of 2
I borrowed this from a Bimmer E46 M3 web site:
The M3 sits on 18-inch M-style alloy wheels (8.0-inch wide front and 9.0-inch wide rear), with appropriately sized high-performance tires (225/45
ZR - 18 front and 255/40 ZR -18 rear).
Will I be able to successfully install this combo on my 330ci? Is there a reason why it won't fit? i.e. different diff :) larger/smaller wheel wells, different suspension width? I'm not saying I want to run this combo, but since I will be buying these wheels and tires via mail-order, getting it wrong would be expensive. I don't have the luxury of trying out different sets. I have to get it right the first time. The E46 M3 runs different size wheels and tires in the front and rear. Is there a reason why doing this on my car would mess-up my handling and not mess-up the M3 (as another said earlier)?
I appreciate your indulgence while I get my feet wet with a BMW.

WTF??? How many times are you going to post the same question? You already got your answers. Don't like what you hear? Is that why you keep asking? Tell us what answer you WANT to hear, then we'll tell you exactly that and then you can go away.
Pete
With respect, I have not been able to see any of my posts lately. I had no way of telling, so I apologize for the repetition. This is the first post that I have actually be able to see.
wrote

With respect, you replied several times to those posts that you didn't get.
And, you copied and pasted the same question several times. Usually, the verbiage changes when people absent mindedly ask the wame question over and over because they sit down and type the question from scratch each time. Your question is identical at least three times, and you replied to two of them. Now you are replying to the third.
The bottom line is, yes those rims will fit your car. They are an option for it. That is, the style might not be an option, but the size is, and it's the size that dictates if they will fit.
wrote

keep
exactly
If someone would actually help to answer my question instead of lecturing me on why I shouldn't, the stock sizes, poor ride and such, I would stop asking the question. My question is simple: What is the widest tire I can put on the rear of my car without rolling the fenders? That's all. I expect to use wider rear wheels to accomplish this. 18x9 perhaps. So, has anyone out there managed to get an 18/275/45 on an '01 330ci? If you have (or haven't because there was an interference issue), I'd like to hear your story. Why do I want to do this? I just like the look and I fully expect to end up with a great handling car. I'm not concerned with a reduction in ride quality as it couldn't be worse than what I have right now (Sumitomo SU HTR+ 245/40/17. Very noisy tire). Keep in mind I don't race it. Just spirited, every day driving. TIA for all of your "useful" answers.
wrote

I don't know the answer to your question, exactly. But, I do know you need to do the math to arrive at the answer.
First, the tire size is always expressed as 275/45x18, where the width is first, the aspect ratio is second, and the rim size is third. Any other expression of tire size will just confuse whoever you are talking to.
Second, multiply your CURRENT width by the aspect ratio to arrive at the size of the side wall, then double this number and add in the rim diameter to arrive at the overall diameter. Then rework the calculation in the same way, reducing the aspect ratio and increasing the rim diameter to see if the tires you want are even remotely close to the diameter of the tires you have. If the overall diameter is different, the gearing will suffer and the speedometer will be out of calibration. If you new size is within a few percent, then you have hit the nail on the head, but if off by more than an inch, you will feel the difference.
The width of the tires you want will be constrained by the width of the rims that are available. If you want factory rims, the rear will be capped at about 18x9 or maybe 19x9. I posted a link to the many different rim options that you can get through BMW, but I didn't look closely at the list and my reocllection is that the 3 Series gets an 18 as the largest rim, but I could be wrong on that. The list gives the tires size that fits the rims, so it really is a valuable resource for your question.
My car came originally with a 225/55x15 -- I have a '94 with the Sports Package. I recently changed to a 17' rim because the tires in the equivelent size are much cheaper, and there are many more choices if I wanted to spend the same amount of money. The original tire was made by one tire company, the replacement tires are made by at least a dozen companies. My new tire size is a 225/45x17, and the diameter went from 25.02 to 25.20 inches. The difference in the diameter is less than a quarter inch, and just a bit over a half inch on the circumference, which is what you want to come to.
If you want to move away from BMW rims and go to aftermarket offerings, then I suggest you look at the BMW options, find what goes on an M3 for the year of your car, and use that as your guide.
The 275s that you want work out to be just over 11 inches wide. To remain within the diameter of your stock tires, you are going to need an aspect ratio of about 30 if you put them on the 18 inch rims. A 275/30x18 will give you an overall diameter of 24.7 inches. This is very close to stock, and the speedo and the gearing should tolerate this easily, the big question remains, will they fit inside the fenders? Personally, I don't think a 275 fits on the stock rims, but that's me. I think you will find your tires constrained to about a 255/35x18, or maybe a 255/30x18. These will give you a diameter of 25.25 or 24.19 respectively. One consideration whenthe sidewalls become very narrow is that the tire's width has to match the width of the rim. When the sidewalls are very large, then there is more room for tires that are wider than the rim to accomodate the buldge. When the sidewalls get very narrow, you really want the tires to be only about a half inch off of center (an inch overall) wider than the rim. If my math is correct, a 9 inch wide rim will take a 225 wide tire, observing the rule that the tires should not be more than about an inch wider than the rim, the 255s would be about as wide as you could go.
Bottom line, I think you will find that you can put a 255/30x18 or 255/35x18 on your car. These should fit fine without rolling the fenders. If you find a 19 inch rim, then a 265/30 will give you a diameter of 25.4 inches. While the diameter is a bit large, I think the width will present rubbing issues.
Of course, I am not even considering stagger - different sizes on the front and rear -- I am only looking at the max size that the rear can take, the front should take a narrower tire, but you seem to be expecting that. If you can't do the math, there are several tire size calculators on the 'net that can help you convert from the size you currently run to a size that you dream about.
Here is the BMW Rim Option link that I gave you several weeks ago,
http://www.kalach.easynet.be/bmw_wheels.htm
wrote

keep
exactly
Maybe try calling www.tirerack.com. They've got a lot of factory specs at hand and have always been a good source of info. Maybe not to buy from them but at least for the knowledge. Pretty easy to talk to a real person.
wrote

The reason they wont fit is because a 330 is not an M3. Im not sure whether the wheel wells are different or maybe there is an arch on the M3 or something else. Im not sure as I dont have either one, but what I do know is that it usually isnt smart to try something if it has already been suggested that you dont. There is undoubtedly some reason. If you dont have the luxury of being wrong I would suggest you go with what is suggested, try DTM Power forum. ask around and see what the concensus is.
How many times are you going to ask this question?
There is no question on the front wheels, they will definitely fit. They will fit on all four corners, by the way. The only question is if the rear wheels will fit, and the question there is if they will fit inside the fenders. You have no issues with backspacing relative to the M Series wheels and your 330, but you may have issues with the fenders in the back.

(225/45
wells,
size
on
Jeff Strickland wrote:

As stated before, I have M3 wheels on my 330 and they fit fine.
Jeff

Perfect. What size do you have?
I also have M3 wheels on my E36, but the front and back are all the same size.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

225 on the front and 245 on the rear. No fitment problems and no negative effect re. handling. At least none that I can tell.
Jeff
Jeff Strickland wrote:

Sorry, 255 on the rear. My mistake. :-(
Jeff

The only other question I have is, why did you tell me this instead of posting under the OP's question(s)?
The guy that wants to know if the M Series rims will fit is the guy you should be telling, not me. I told him they would fit, but that he could verify it by locating his rims and his desired rims in the link that I gave him, and checking the specs.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

The comment was directed to him because he started the thread and to you as well, as you were wondering, apparently, about the different sizes effecting handling, etc. I meant no disrespect but I was simply pointing out that earlier in the thread, or in one of the other threads started by the OP, I had indicated as such, again.

I just picked your post to reply to the first time, and the second time I indicated that the tire/wheel combo would fit I was letting you know as it seemed that you had not seen the previous reply.
I told him they would fit, but that he

And I agree 100%, as I agreed with everything else you told him. Not your fault, or mine, that he felt the need to post the same question 3 different times. ;-)
Jeff
Do you have to be called Jeff to participate here?
DAS Non-Jeff but could become one by deed poll
"Jeff Mayner" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

I don't think so. All are welcome...

Deed Poll? :-\
Jeff

FYI, only the 1995 wheels were the same size... 17x7.5, in 96 the suspension geometry of the M3 was changed "in concert" with the change in wheel/tire combintaion of 17x7.5(front) and 17x8.5(rear) There is good reasoning for the extra inch, besides the extra inch or so of rubber you can stuff. Also, a matched set of 7.5s are far less expensive than a staggered set.

Jeff,
Saw this link from you on another post on this same topic. Is this your 330 w/M3 wheels?
Nels
Nelson J. Starbranch wrote:

I did post the link to my car in one of the other threads started by the op. If the car is red, in the driveway with a lady in the car then yes, it is my car. ;-)
Jeff