E46 wheels and tires

Page 2 of 2

Jeff,
That's the one. I neglected to include the link in my post. Nice color! My car is red too.
I ask b/c those aren't M3 wheels. They look like chrome M wheels though.
Nels
Nelson J. Starbranch wrote:

Oof...
If I said they were M3 "size" would that work. ;-)
Jeff

Now THAT makes sense! Thanks for clearing that up.
Nels
So, not wanting to beat a dead horse to death, you have 17 x 7.5 front rims and 17 x 8.5 rear rims? These rims are the same size as what comes on the M3, but your rims are not specifically M3 rims, right? I am just wanting to get the picture straight because as I follow this thread, I never get the feeling that these questions are answered. I think I get it, but I just wanted to be sure that everybody else gets it.
My point being that I had said earlier that IF there was any potential for problmes with M Series rims on a 330, then the troubles would be at the rear, and the tires would rub on the fenders. You have made it clear that your tires do not rub on the fenders, and that you have a 330, but you really haven't made it very clear that you have the wide tires. Others have said that there are geometry issues, but I don't think this is true at all. I also don't think the tires will rub on the fenders, but that is where I would focus my attention if I was making this change. My car is a '94 325, and I put M Series rims on it, but I have four 17 x 7.5 rims - 5 counting the one in the trunk - so I haven't got the stagger sizes going on with my car.
I just wanted to bring all of this crap together so the OP would go out and buy his new rims and get on with it.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

18X8 front, 18X9 rear. Remember, this is an E46, not an E36. My rear tires are 255/35ZR/18's. I think the stock tire size was 255/40/18. I'm going on memory here so take what I say with a grain of salt. Also, I am relatively new to the BMW experience.
These rims are the same size as

As was so rightly pointed out to me, they are BMW rims, they are "M" rims, but, they are not, in fact, M3 rims.
I am just wanting to get the picture straight because as I

You have done a good job of it. ;-)

Yes. I have 255's. I do not think the 19's (optional M3) would fit. I'm not even sure if the 255/40/18 size would fit. I do not rub anywhere but it's pretty close in there.
Others have said that there are geometry

As stated, good job. I just hope I haven't added any confusion with my fumbling. ;-)
Jeff

Yes. I have them on my 330i. They came from the factory that way.