E46 Where's the dipstick...

in my 2001 330 ci? I had a quick look (no time) and didn't find it where I expected. TIA

Gee, they haven't changed the location on any of their inline-sixes since, what, 1970 or so? Left side of engine, behind the air cleaner box next to the intake manifold. Handle (on mine) is red.
FloydR
I'll check there. I'll be quite embarrassed if it is right in front of my eyes and I STILL missed it! (sheepish grin). Thanks!
wrote

Prepare to be embarrased. It's right where he described. And, it's red. Very easy to see, assuming you are actually awake when you look.
wrote

My bad! I should have mentioned that it's the auto tranny dipstick that I can't find. The red one is engine oil...right?
wrote

Right. Modern BMWs have no auto tranny dipstick - they're supposedly "lifetime" fluids. You have to check them using the plug on the side of the transmission.
Most people are changing the tranny fluid on a 30K or 60K mile interval, no matter what BMW says.
Floyd
Sounds like good advice, Floyd. I'm due for an oil change anyway. I'll do the tranny as well. Thanks!
wrote

some say not to change ALL the atf at the same time... it can lead to problems. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t 328&highlight=ATF+drain
wrote

There is no tranny dipstick.
wrote

Try again when you have more time.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:56:39 -0400, "tech27"
Post again when you're sober.
--
Dan.

You mis-spelled Dark. Easy to do with spell check. You mean DORK, right, Dean?
wrote: | | >Try again when you have more time. | | Post again when you're sober. | -- | Dan.