E61 m-sport - ride quality / comparisons

Page 1 of 2
I have been running a 525d M Sport Touring for 2 years now. One of the things that surprised me was how firm (read: jarring at times) the ride is. it has the sport suspension and 18" run-flats.
I am considering replacing now with an Audi A6 Avant and wondered if anyone had any direct experience of the two to be able to offer an informed opinion of the similarities/differences in ride?
The A6 often come on 19" wheels (the S-Line) - looks great, but will the ride in fact be worse the the BM?
--
jeremy

For what it's worth , I noticed very little difference between 18's and 19's on my M3 . D.

It's the run-flats that make the ride extremely harsh. Replace tires with non run-flats - problem solved.
Pete
Excellent point ! D.

Bridgestone Re050A to a summer touring RFT such as the Goodyear NCT5 will improve the ride. Choosing an all-season tire (either RFT or non) will give an even more compliant ride, albeit at the expense of handling. Not all run-flats are the same!
But before you spend money on tires, have you experimented with the tire pressures?
Tom

Take $800. Get a set of four smaller rims, and some real tires with deeper sidewalls and no run-flats. You will be delighted at the improvement. It will be like having a new car. You can send me all the rest of the money if you'd like.

If you put huge dubs and run-flats on the Audi, it will not ride well. So, don't do that.
Don't throw away the baby with the bathwater, just get decent tires and relax. --scott

Interesting thought. Have to say the 18" m-sport wheels *do* look the dog's though.
--
jeremy

And that, in short is the whole problem. Do you want a car that looks good or a car that drives well? For my mind, I buy a car to drive. --scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Yeah, my Supra TT came with 17' wheels, which were kind of exotic back in the 90's, but are seen on even mundane vehicles today. Many owners replace them with 18's or 19's, in wider-yet widths. I've had the same thought, but I come back to that question, and have chosen to stay with the stock sizes that the car was engineered to have.

I'm not sure what the most important thing is, but fitting into the wheel wells has to be high on the list. If one reduces the side wall height by the increased rim diameter, the overall effect is that the tires still fit inside the fenders. The next thing to consider is striking the suspension components, and that's adjusted with backspacing on the rims.
I'm not sure that staying with the stock sizes is as important as staying within the overall diameter specifications and avoiding the physical contact with the body and undercarriage. If you can keep the new tires from hitting stuff and retain the original tire circumference, then you can do pretty much anything you want with your tires and not affect anything in an adverse way.

Right, that's what all the kids are doing. They are getting tires with the narrowest possible sidewall height and the largest possible rims. This looks very fashionable, but it is a recipe for lousy handling.
Outside diameter of the tires is the same, but the sidewall is much shorter.

Other than ride and cornering ability, etc. --scott

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in wrote:

It actually will handle better with lower profile tires at the expence of a harsher ride as there is less sidewall to help cushin the impacts. KB

--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them

I think, personally, that there is a way to put really cool tires and wheels on your car without killing the ride and handling. Obviously (well, obvious to you and I), if the sidewalls become too narrow, then ride and handling will suffer. But when the stock sidewall is a 65 or 70, one can go to a larger rim and reduce the sidewall to a 45 or 50, and have a nice package that doesn't harm ride or handling. Indeed, ride may remain constant while the handling actually improves.
I agree though, when the sidewall gets down to an inch or so, ride and handling could easily go away.
then you can do pretty

I would be wary of altering the 'offset' and suspension geometry as this changes the stresses at the mounts. I have known quite a few people have their suspension fail from fitting different wheel & tyre combos. This can alter the centre of gravity and gyro forces within the components.
Just my 2 cents.
Best regards
David.
BTW, a BMW 5 touring is better than an A6 Avant hands down.
--- ---
@NOSPAMsky.com says...>

Personal experience or based on reviews etc? Can you elaborate?
--
jeremy

---

sorry for that, because I would really like to know some of them ... I prefer bmw 'on the feeling' but i havnt driven lots of and i would like to know others opinion...
regards.
--
Jean-Yves.

"David Skelton" wrote

Interesting. I guess our experiences have been different. Having owned both Audi (A4 1.8TQ) and BMW (530i), I would say that it is BMW that does not deserve the reputation it has.
Pete
snipped-for-privacy@nodomain.com says...>

Ummm... the way I read the responses, the first is saying that Audi has a bad rep it doesn't deserve...are you saying BMW does too? The original subject was comparisons between A6 and 5 (e61)
What are you saying?
--
jeremy

"Jeremy" wrote

I guess I am saying that each of us had different experiences, so the only way for you to come to your own conclusion will be if you own or extensively drive both and pick the winner for yourself. Base on my personal experiences, I would be more likely to purchase another Audi, not another BMW. YMMV
Pete