E90 persistent Cruise Control failures

After having my E90 (330xi) in the shop several times, the Cruise Control failure error still comes on.

It's a yellow icon with speedometer diagram and exclamation point, and the cruise control is then inoperative.

It happens when I set the speed with the stalk, probably 1 out of 10 times. It registers as an orange triangle in the icon window below too. Stop/start the car at a stoplight, the error goes away, and the cruise works fine.

BMW has recorded the error code with scanner, so they know what it is. So far they've replaced the clutch switch. Same error. Then they replaced the cruise control module (aka "LDM") - they had the car a week and a half and had to consult BMW engineers. And the code STILL comes on.

Anyone had similar issues with cruise?

Thanks!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Similar - but on a Jaguar X-Type. I don't know how much of this OBD software is shared among the marques. I was getting a code and a "Cruise Control Not Available" message - only the cruise always worked anyway(!?) Turned out to be (apparently, since it has not recurred) a failed ABS sensor on one wheel. Makes marginal sense to me that the system would include monitoring wheel speed(s).

-- C.R. Krieger (Wondering why BMW didn't finish higher in Oz.)

Reply to
E28 Guy©

I recently read about a similar problem (although not a BMW). Apparently the cruise control system is somehow tied into the brake light circuitry and depends on the low resistance value of the brake light. (This is permit disabling of the cruise control when you step on the brake). The person I read about created the problem by replacing the standard, incandescent lights with LED units. The cruise control would no longer work.

Perhaps your brake light circuits (ground and/or 12 volt) have deteriorated and have a higher than normal resistance value and it is representing itself as an intermittent problem.

RCE

Reply to
RCE