eBay Repair manual CD sets - are they any good

Page 2 of 2
The CDs offered on Ebay are always junk copies, usually of outdated BMW CDs, especially given that very little info from BMW is produced on CD these
days. Most is on the web.
E21 is not covered in anything except the Mobile Traditions E21 repair CD and the ETK parts CD set.
There is NO repair information for E21 on the TIS CD, despite what the Ebay scum want you to believe. There is also NO wiring information for E21 on the ETM CDs, despite what the Ebay scum want you to believe..... You get my point. If it's on Ebay, it's not going to work for you, it's not being sold by a human and the seller is lying about it's content. Guaranteed.
If you can't get the E21 Repair CD from your local dealer, try a US vendor. Some, like us, will only ship via UPS, which makes it very cost prohibitive to you, but some might ship by US Mail, which makes it very affordable.
Hope this helps.
Brett Anderson - KMS

Nedavno KMS - Brett Anderson pise:
| The CDs offered on Ebay are always junk copies, usually of outdated | BMW CDs, especially given that very little info from BMW is produced | on CD these days. Most is on the web.
May be, I bought one CD set, and when it gets here I will see.
| E21 is not covered in anything except the Mobile Traditions E21 | repair CD and the ETK parts CD set.
Mobile Traditions ETK parts for e21 is available on line. I was wondering what Mobile Traditions E21 repair CD contains. I have Bentley repair manual (paper - not CD) for my E30, is this Mobile Traditions E21 repair CD similar? Is it worth $100?
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

What a load of old BOLLOCKS!
And I am NOT scum - or is the stuff you sell crap and it's a self reflection?
Yes they are out dated but then if you are a BMW dealer and charge $100 - $150 an hour the price is nothing and also tax deducible.
I will guarantee that the copies - yes folks they are copies as there are more folk that want them than there are BMW dealers.
If you buy a new BMW then you won't need one as the warranty will cover it for 5 years (if you pay for the extended part) and then you sell it to someone that will fix it themselves and want the CDs.
remember when the older vehicles were in production CDs were not invented so everything was on paper and I still have my old E3 paper manual. When CDs became the dealers only way of manuals and info then BMW did a bit of backward formatting and added bits of the bubble car - Issetta and the earlier marques.
The early 6 series is not on the TIS either but is covered by the parts lists and TIS info is generally the same as the E3 models.
According to EU & USA laws BMW must make technical info available to anyone that wants it so - either get my copy for $10 or go to BMW and give them $100 (probably wrong price but I reckon it's not that far out)
I don't mind you protecting your business but to insult people you don't know anything about is a disgrace to you and your business and I hope it reflects on you.
However, I must agree that there are some people on Ebay that do sell "crap" and don't take any effort to supply instructions to install or use. Black felt tip pen is the only mark on the Cds - yes "crap".
I do take the time and effort to test run and verify that each set will run and smart CD labels to top it off. Hundreds of satisfied customers who have returned for friends or for the later issues cannot be that wrong.
I have shipped the world over and only once got a report of a bad copy and when checked there was a dammed great scratch across it - probably done by the customer by accident but nevertheless I replaced it FOC - does that sound like SCUM?
Come on guys! I don't want an apology but don't claim that every Ebayer is SCUM or it WILL bounce back on you.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com wrote:
Buncha bs snipped..

And I guess violating copyrights law really doesn't bother you does it?
EVERY copy you sell is ILLEGAL and every one carries a penalty. Nice of you to tell us about yourself on a public newsgroup that BMW monitors. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them shortly.
admin wrote:

I doubt BMW monitors this and would not waste their time going after him for boot legging the CDs. They could not recoup their investment in time and $$ since the people that buy these botleg CDs would never spend the hundreds of dollars to buy they official BMW ones.
--
-Fred W

BMW MUST MAKE -- not "any joe blow".
So you can buy them LEGALLY or buy pirated, stolen software...

Have you looked on ebay lately an seen how many technical CDs there are there?
99% are out of date but useful for owners of older cars. The new cars are built or rather put together like rocket ships and generally need a PhD to service and repair.
BMW do make available to consumers but why do ebay sellers ply their trade - because people want it and the car companies just don't want to know about you fixing your car as it is less business for them or rather less chance to rip you off if you actually know what you are talking about.
BMW tried to rip me off for $500 for a new PDC control unit when the problem was a $10 relay.....................?

anyone
One thing about ebay "repair" manuals, make sure it works for YOUR operating systems. On other BMW forums, people have reported buying these CDs and finding that it only works with Windows 95 or OLDER!
Caveat emptor....

I think that should be Win95 or LATER. The next versions available will be in 'JAVA' so should be portable to other OS.
Many problem encountered are by users thinking they know best and not following install instruction.
However, as you say - software theft -or these guys passing on something that BMW has already thrown away as its no good to their dealers who are only interested in servicing lease cars and people with too much money.
Joe Anon

That's right, it must be made available, and it is at www.bmwtechinfo.com, or on CD at www.centrallettershop.com Neither the laws of EU and USA allow you to pirate the software for your own gain, which is what you are doing.
With piracy as bad as it is, it's a wonder anyone bothers to write software, or music, these days. I wrote a complete set of repair manuals, starting with the E30 M3, which was released 6 years ago, but never released the E30 full range, E28, E24 or E23 CDs because it wasn't worth the effort. 5 minutes after a scumbag like you got one, it would be all over Ebay. As a result, thousands of people miss out on what may have been exactly what they need to maintain their vehicles.
Brett Anderson KMS - Koala Motorsport LLC www.bmw-stuff.com