ECU Chips. Do they work?

Hi. Anyone know, or have had experience with one of these so called 'superchips'? Claims of 13bhp increase and fatter torque curve?
Have an E39, 528 and am wondering if its worth the 300. It looks a bit to
good to be true.
Sorry if this has been covered before.
Cheers.
"pest" wrote

Ask the seller to include the cost of two dyno runs in that price, one before and one after the chip install. If the power/torque increases don't confirm the claims, ask for a refund. (I know they won't agree).
From what I've read, these chips do increase power and torque slightly, but not by +13bhp. Now if you had a turbo engine, that would be a different story. I had a chip in my old 1.8T and it did make a noticeable difference.
Pete

If they work you will burn the valves or similar over stress type damage.
If they don't you will probably never know, because how often do you drive at the res line on the tach?
The company shows a dyno test claiming to back up the figures quoted and they look about right, but I don't think they are going to entertain doing a one off run on my car. Too expensive I would think.
The 'over stressing ' point is exactly what I am worried about, however they do give you a warranty stating that in the event of any damage caused by the chip the repair will be paid for by them. Which in itself is a bit worrying! Not exactly confidence inspiring.
I'm not really bothered about the top end speed gain, more the bigger torque gain. In the UK we dont really have any roads big enough to max out this size of car, your either nicked or in hospital!
Thanks for the views guys, think I will leave things as they are.
Cheers.

Unless the ignition timing, valve timing or fuelling was well out chipping the car is unlikely to help torque. Different matter with a turbo where you can wind up the boost. You *might* increase the max BHP by increasing the rev limit but again doubtful. Some early EFI engines could be improved by chipping as they tended to run rather weak at cruise, but I don't think this applies to the 528.
--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

pest wrote:

While 13hp sounds like an astounding increase, you would be very hard pressed to be able to even detect an increase as small as 13hp. Why? Because the horse power peak (and thus the largest increase) occurs way up in the rpm range where the average driver never even ventures.
Take your 300 and enter yourself in a performace driving school. Money will be better spent, I say.
--
-Fred W

It would depend on how the increase is achieved. BHP - as you'll understand but not all will - is a product of torque and engine speed. If you simply increase the engine speed while maintaining the torque output you'll get a higher maximum BHP figure which as you say most won't notice. But if chipping increases the torque across the range by the equivalent of about 5% as claimed IMHO you would feel the difference. But it's a very big 'if' with most modern systems. Simply increasing the fuelling can achieve more power at the expense of economy and emissions sometimes.

Could be, although most can manage a fast start in a traffic light GP. ;-)
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control