electric window mechansm

Hi Can someone tell me if the above is riveted onto the door. I have looked at mine and think it is but i cannot drill the rivets out. I need to replace the mechanism urgently but dont know how to get the old one off.

Cheers

Reply to
eyersie

You didn't say which car...or even which part of the mechanism...which makes it hard to look up in the TIS...but typically, what look like rivets are actually pressed-in bolts, with the nuts that might be placed on either the doorskin side or (more typically in my experience) on the interior side. This goes for both the motor assembly and regulator.

A service manual or TIS would doubtless show you how to remove and reinstall them.

Do NOT forget to disconnect the battery (and on some cars then wait at least 20 minutes) before removing the airbag, if so equipped.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

Thanks for your reply. I have a 316i Compact (N). I'm talking about the mechanism which makes the glass go up and down. It looks like half a cog attached to the inside skin of the door, with the motor attached to it. There are 3 arms coming off that, 2 of which go up and down in a sort of scissor action, the other one is attached to the inside skin by a bolt. Its the 5 rivet like things inside i cant get off, which could well be pressed in bolts. Its these i cant get off. Can you help or can you tell me what a TIS is? Cheers

Reply to
eyersie

Thanks for your reply. I have a 316i Compact (N). I'm talking about the mechanism which makes the glass go up and down. It looks like half a cog attached to the inside skin of the door, with the motor attached to it. There are 3 arms coming off that, 2 of which go up and down in a sort of scissor action, the other one is attached to the inside skin by a bolt. Its the 5 rivet like things inside i cant get off, which could well be pressed in bolts. Its these i cant get off. Can you help or can you tell me what a TIS is? Cheers

Reply to
eyersie

TIS is the CD-based set of BMW service manuals.

You didn't say which year or whether you had an E36 or E46. Since you can't find the nuts, I'll assume an E36. I've not done one of these, but it appears from the TIS that you lower the window 300mm, unplug the motor, and hold the clips to release the while sliding the arms toward the middle of the door and out of their tracks to remove the regulator.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, maybe it's time to buy a service manual of your own...the Bently one is well-spoken of here (I don't have one).

JRE

Reply to
JRE