electrical??

Car: 1996 BMW 318ti Problem: I was driving it and suddenly it beeped at me and then the feul gage, the rpms and the blinker stopped registering. The
spedometer, radio, overhead lights, brake lights and headlights still work. The car beeps on and off while I am driving, the same beeping as when you try to get out of the car with the keys still in the egnition.
Any ideas?
Fiona

Nice.
Our 93 318iS did this. I always suspected a similar fault to that found on the early E34s, namely dried out electrolytic capacitors on the dash PCB. Easy fix, give the dash to a TV repair shop and tell them to replace all the electrolytics (cheap enough).
But our didn't do it often and I sold it years ago, so I never got to test my theory.