electrical cooling fan question ?

Hi , is there any realy for elecrical radiator colling fan ? where is it located ? i was told when a/c is turnedon the electrical fan in front of the radiator should turn on, also when when the engine gets hot. right ? on my car it won't turn on , however when remove the plug to the radiator fan switch and jump the wires it will comes on , is there any way to test the senser(fan switch) ? any idia please let me know . thanks fred740il

Reply to
fred740il

Fred,

You have already diagnosed it pretty well. If you can remove the wires to the temp sensor (it's a thermo-switch actually) and jumper them and make the fan run, that means the problem is the thermo-switch. Good work!

Reply to
Fred W

Yes.

Next to the radiator near the mechanical fan.

Not necessarily.

Yes.

You will need to get it pretty hot - try a hair dryer.

The electric fan will run if the car is idled for a long time in a very hot place, especially if the AC is on (idle speed increased). On 7 series the mechanical fan has a thermal viscous coupling on the main fan. This slips when cold, so you warm up quicker and don't over cool the radiator in very cold weather. It also stiffens up and increases cooling when it is very hot.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Reply to
fred740il