Electrical Problems/ Starter Problems 1990 BMW 325is

Hello
I have a BMW 325is. I started up my car and noticed that I did not have power windows.
I drove the car about 5 miles and seemed to hear some "unusual noises" - but
power and peformance were good.
I got home and turned the car off. Now the starter won't turn and I did smell something that smelled like burning wires.
Taking a quick look at the fuses, it doesn't seem like any of them are burned - but I need to look better.
Any ideas???? Could there be a relay that is prone to failure. My car has 230,000 miles.
Would a fusible link that has failed, cause the power windows to fail.
All responses are appreciated.
- Ben