Emissions testing 93 325i

I have one of the Fault Code checkers for the car (the popular one, Peak, I think) and I'm getting an error code that is apparently a problem with the
rear (4-6) knock sensor which I have replaced but I'm still getting the code. I have a couple questions;
Why the heck am I still getting the code? Do I have to reset something even though the battery has been disconnected and reconnected?
Will this fault code cause it to automatically fail the emissions test (Hou.,TX)? Could it possibly cause it to retard the ignition enough to cause some problem?
Any help will be appreciated, Chris
Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

Maybe the sensor was ok, but the fault is in the wiring - bad connector-etc.
Frank
that's a possibility, wouldn't that suck! The connector felt very good when the sensor clicked in though. And actually, the sensor itself looked really bad. The plastic shielding around the body of the sensor was all cracked up and such.
Any other ideas guys? Chris