Engine Light

On my 316i (4 years old) the Engine Light goes on for weeks and then goes off for a few days then back on. The garage said this happens to all BMWs and Audis, just ignore it. Has any one any help on this. Thanks, Pat.

Reply to
patlist

Get a new garage.

There are many reasons the light can come on then go out again, most of them have to do with the gas cap. Most of the reasons that the light can come on require service activity to correct and then turn the light off. But the evaporative emissions (gas fumes) control system has a huge hole in it where you put the fuel nozzle. The gas cap is supposed to seal, and when it does then the System detects the appropriate vacuum or pressure -- I forget which. In any case, the gas cap itself is a variable that can cause the light to come on and go off.

AutoZone will let you use the Code Reader Tool to pull the codes down and reset the computer.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland