engine noise

my e34 520ise touring has a slight tapping noise for about 2 seconds when started from cold. milage is 144k with full bmw service history. is nthis normal for its age?

Reply to
lucasdude

Yes

Reply to
JimV

"lucasdude" wrote

Pretty typical for the M50 engine's hydraulic tappets. Not to worry.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

thanx floyd, my car only returns around 300miles to a tank around town. is this also typical?

Reply to
lucasdude

Likely the hydraulic tappets or could also be the timing chain before the tensioner wakes up. Either way provided it goes away don't lose sleep. Should get no worse in the next 144k miles. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"lucasdude" wrote

Seems pretty low; I don't have experience (nor do other US posters) with the

520i. Our 525i with manual averages around 22mpg in all city driving (US gallons), which would be about 425-450 miles per tank.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Yes, it's normal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, it's normal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I am having my engine replaced under warranty for an engine noise. I am told the coating on a/the piston/s have chipped off and scored the cylinder wall/s. I have a 2004 545I. There is something called piston slap where the cylnder becomes somewhat oval in shape and creates a slaping/tapping noise. BMW can boroscope the engine and see all the way into the cylinders. Good luck Hunter

Reply to
Hunter