Engine racing - 85 318i

I am having a problem which occurs only in cold weather (<50 degrees). The engine idle races up and down and refuses to stabilize when the car is
stopped at a light. I've looked at all of the grounds and can find nothing loose. Any ideas?
Kenneth Lyons wrote:

From what I've read elsewhere, the cheapest thing to be wrong would be a leak in an air hose (after the air flow has been metered). If you can't find it by manipulating the hoses, apparently spraying carb cleaner in the vicinity will change the idle when it's sprayed near the leak - it could be a gasket/O-ring rather than a hose.
I had an Astra with the same problem, and it did have a split hose, but I'm not familiar with the arrangement of hoses in your car.
Andrew

Sticking idle control valve?
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Yes.