Engine replacement on '94 530i

Page 2 of 2

The main reason I would want an aluminum radiator is because the BMW OEM ones made by either Behr or Nissen are made out of cheap-shit plastic and are known to break. Many techs, including Mike Miller of Roundel, suggest replacing BMW radiators every 60,000 miles. This is absolutely ridiculous, but when you consider that you can fry your engine due to the OEM plastic neck breaking, its actually makes sense. Why BMW doesn't use aluminum for its radiator shows how far it goes to cut cost.
I think if you look around, you'll notice almost everyone is using more and more plastic under the hood. Plastic radiator tanks have become far too common for my tastes. Having aluminum tanks put on in place of the plastic ones is something I see a lot of here in Florida...

Mike Miller is afraid if many things he doesn't understand real well. Automatic transmissions, for example. --

Can you clarify exactly what Mike Miller doesn't "understand real well?" Being Tech Talk, Mike Miller sees alot of complaints about BMW automatic transmission. I think its a shame when BMW claims the fluid in the automatics are "lifetime," and then when the car reaches about 100,000 miles, the tranny goes and the owner has to spend thousands to replace it. Interestingly, BMW auto trannies had a better record of lasting more than 100,000 miles when it recommended changing fluid every 30,000 miles or so. Of course, that was before BMW came up with its maintainence free program.
Of course, maybe you only lease your car or sell it before it reaches 100,000 miles, in which case, lifetime fluid and broken transmission are probably not a problem.
bfd wrote:

And as such - he tends to brand everything he sees a lot of as a real issue. He's overlooking that the 3 series E36 cars sold quite well, so there are a LOT of them out there. They do have rather delicate radiators, but failure is not endemic - it's frequent enough to keep an eye on, but IMHO - preventively replacing the radiator - unless you're using it for a track car - is probably a waste of $$.

BMW now recommends the fluid be changed at 100k miles. Can you provide ANY facts at ALL on BMW transmissions lasting longer before they changed fluid change recommendations?
I really don't think you'll be able to - since the earlier BMW automatic transmissions (the ZF-4HP22) were known to eat the front clutch pack with great regularity at around 60-70k miles... requiring at best a rebuild, at worst a replacement. Later GM and ZF transmissions have been quite reliable, and rarely give problems even with extended mileage on them (over 100k.)
Just give us some numbers and a source for your information.. if you can (besides Mike Miller - who is NOT a technician - he's an attorney..)

Actually - most of my BMW's have been kept to well past 100k miles, and aside from the one with the ZF-4HP22 transmission which required replacement at 70k miles - I never had a problem with the transmissions or rear-drives. But - that's a fact - and I'm sure you aren't terribly fond of them.
BTW - did you know that 89% of the statistics that appear in UseNet postings are made up on the spot?
admin wrote:

Make that 90%. You just tipped the scales. ;-)
FWIW, I am of the same opinion regarding the Tech editor (Miller) of Roundel. When I first began reading the mag I thought, wow, this guy sure knows a lot about BMWs. But the longer I read, and the more I learned personally, the clearer it became that he is merely opinionated, not knowledgable.
But he doesn't hold a candle to the dude posing as Tech editor for Boating magazine. That guy is isn't only opinionated, he is downright ignorant of basic mechanics and hands out bad technical advice constantly.
--
-Fred W

I have to figure out a way to get one of those jobs...

I owned a 325i with the ZF-4HP22 which was going strong at 135,000 miles when I sold the car. I had regularly changed the ATF with synthetic every 30,000miles. The new owner stopped ALL transmission maintenance, and the ZF still reached 204,000 miles before dying from burned clutches. It made me a believer about using good fluids at reasonable intervals.
And then again, maybe I've owned more BMW's over the last 40 years than you've ever looked at. I certainly have never leased one, or driven one less than 170,000 miles.
But anyone who posts that when " the car reaches about

Miller, by the way, does not discuss maintenance schedules of autoboxes - he holds them in disdain, period.( along with Nikasil blocks, another thing I'm not quite sure he fully understood, and a few other things he dislikes).
No one who EVER went to a good independent BMW tech ever bought into the extended or lifetime fluid schedules - don't think you unlocked some great secret there.

As I've posted in here before, the local "indy" German-car repair-shop refused to change the "lifetime" fluid in my car... "We've never seen an E46 tranny fail. Take it to the dealer if you want the fluid changed."

-------- Nice one! I guess that's why ALL those owners of old bimmers changed oil at 3,000 miles and tranny fluid at 15,000, and differential at 30,000. And the cars are in as good a shape as ever. IF BMW had paid attention to what the owners were saying and doing, they would have a free research base of cars and maintenance plans to show what really happened to the internals. My personal opinion is that their new maint intervals allows BMW Pre-Owned to show documentation, but it could also show how the parts are failing due to increased intervals. It's a double-edged sword.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i

You're begging the question. Without control vehicles driven in the same way it's only conjecture that early oil changes are of any use. And my experience says they're not.

Leaving out the autos where I think the jury is still out over *lifetime* fluid, what evidence have you of engine wear or failure when sticking to the maker's recommendations?

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

London SW

-------- I have no "evidence" short of hearsay, which is to say none. Going on what I hear and see with a dose of common sense, it would seem to me that things run better on something that is not older than half it's expected life. Fluids, batteries, things with a destructive edge. Not pencils, or matches, but stuff that by nature, ensures life of something else by its own destruction or depletion. Maybe that 100k mile fluid should be changed at 50k, before the trans failure people are letting the world know theirs failed at 60k. I remember when spark plugs were done at 30k miles or less. 100k seems long and a few owners have said so when they changed the plugs and put new ones in, the DME was wonky for a bit getting back into adjustment from so worn plugs. Sounds like cheap-assed, lazy drivers to me. You know this one, YMMV? Well, I'm just applying it to the info that has amassed about the maint intervals BMW came up with. I do respect that the intervals were devised by someone who tested them though. Yes, Dave, you are correct. The jury is out and to each his own. I also know an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I for one don't have a spare bank account to see what happens when I follow instructions that are even odds on failure, excepting that shit happens. LOL

Except that changing long life fluids can't be done for an 'ounce' - they're very expensive. And to fully change the auto transmission fluid ain't easy.
It could be going back to cheaper fluids and DIY changing them at older intervals would be a good idea - but I'm not convinced. Generally the mechanics on cars last longer these days than ever.
And in case you think I'm young with no experience I've personally in the distant past re-built many an engine and auto which has simply worn out - and at a lot less than 100,000 miles. Of course I'm talking older UK cars which were rather more highly stressed than the average US one - but then BMW isn't a US design either.
--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

London SW

---------- I agree 100%. I changed half of the trans fluid when I did the wife's '98 528i. The other half is in the torque converter. Damn if I'm pulling all that to change fluid. I did do a filter at the same time, though. That should help a little. Since she has the GM trans, I used the recommended Castrol Dexron 3-Mercon. I believe it was less than $3/qt and I used 4 qts. I did see that someone recommended straining/filtering the old fluid and putting it back in. Certain mechanicals are made better by certain companies. When was the last time you saw ANY American car do 300k miles? Or 200k ? Just look at the break-in miles for a new car today. And I believe you when you say you've rebuilt a few engines. I have as well, but I can say that some were, um, less than quality stuff when we tore them down. I did think it was funny that the e39 540 trans was more prone to fail, so I've heard, than the e39 528i trans. And the 5sp auto more than the 4sp auto in the same cars. And it was mostly a little plastic ball that caused a bit of the failures.. Yes, I have a reference if you like. Not being snotty or arrogant to anyone, I am just telling what I think or surmise from stuff. I could be wrong and freely admit it. Just my two cents, YMMV, IMHO, and have a nice day.
Dave, I do read and heed what you say, don't think I just like arguing. Everything I say is with a smile, even if it's not seen.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i
Yes, but that is more than a cut and dry issue. Nobody( in their right mind) was comfortable with "lifetime fluid", but a combination of ( then ) hard to obtain and very costly fluid, repeated scare stories from dealers ( after all, if you say something often enough, it becomes truth, doesn't it?) and requests from cars with already high mileage tended to make it a LOT easier to send people to the dealer.
Add " and we don't intend for one to do so after WE service it" between those sentences from the indy below, and it makes a lot of sense, don't you think?

Sounds of axes being ground. ;-)
--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *