ESP. What does it do specifically?

Just curious. I know it stands for Electronic Stability Program, but what exactly does it do, and how does it do it? TIA. Mike.

It uses the ABS sensors to sense wheel spin, and the steering wheel position and accelerometer/yaw sensors (often part of the airbag deployment system) to detect skids. It then uses the ABS to selectively brake individual wheels to reduce the skid. It also controls the throttle.
Search Wikipedia for "Electronic Stability Control"
FloydR
wrote

Thanks for the link Floyd. I had googled for info, but got nothing specific. Just info on how beneficial it was. More complicated than I thaught. Just baught an E39 which I haven't picked up yet.. Anyone know if it can be switched off on this model? Mike.

Switch on the dash behind the steering wheel?
--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Cheers Dave. That's nice to know. Maybe I won't like it.:-) Mike.

Find a wet roundabout on a deserted road and you'll soon find out - accelerate flat out from rest round it. It's quite remarkable. ;-)
It brakes individual wheels to transfer the grip to the best one, and modulates engine power if it senses wheel spin.

Sounds like it. Can't wait to try it. Presumably as it controls individual wheels and power, it can do better than a skilled driver in wet or slippery conditions. Mike.
London SW

Not got it on mine and I haven't seriously unstuck a BMW in 20+ years of owning them.
When the Merc' A series came out a motoring journalist managed to roll one on a test track, resulting in lurid stories of their instability (despite lowish power, auto and FWD!), so Merc' fitted ASC to them all as standard. I managed to stumble into a test session in sportsground car park, and spent an interesting quarter of an hour trying to get one to understeer.
London SW

You just haven't been trying. :-) Mike.
ESP is why you think your Mom has eyes in the back of her head and she knows what you are doing -- especially really stupid stuff -- without actually looking at you.