Faulty airbag error light on BMW 320i from 2002

Hi there,
Does anyone have any tips for tracing what is wrong with an airbag in my 320i from 2002?
The red "faulty airbag" light has turned on and I wonder if there is
anything I can do before taking it to the dealer and having them look at the problem (costing a lot of money to fix probably).
I have heard that it could be something to do with the passenger side seatbelt. Are there some cables or connections I should be checking ?
Thanks.
Asmara

I've got this one some times ago...went to bmw services and they said it was the driver's airbag. hopefully was still under warranty... don't know how much it costs...
better go to the service, they put the computer in and tell you how much ... this should be free (the checking !)
--
Jean-Yves.

I once had a faulty airbag light that was caused by the detection of a faulty airbag light.
Seriously.
The light would come on at random times, and my mechanic said the code that was generated said the light itself was the fault. I thought it was a bit funny they would use the same light that is faulty to tell you the light was faulty.
My '94 E36 convertible sets the airbag light, and the fault code says the seat switches are to blame.

Sorry, I described it wrong. The light came on one day and remained on until I went in for some kind of service. My mechanic checked the cause of the light, and the error report was that the light was bad. He reset the computer, and I never had a problem again.
The Airbag System is such that any fault is deemed to be a fatal error, and the computer cannot reset itself. It must be reset by a technician, presumably after repairs are made.