Feedback on styling!

Hi guys!

I'm new here, but I guess we all share the same interest, BMW cars! During the last year I have been styling my BMW Z4 M Coupe. What do you think? Does the styling make the car more unique or does it make it look cheap?

fp.

Reply to
fp

I'm sure Jeff Strickland will tell you what he thinks.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Hey!

Thanks for your answer. But who is Jeff Strickland? I would love some feedback, 'cause I've put a lot of work into this car.

fp.

Reply to
fp

I wasn't gonna say anything, but since you asked ...

I don't generally care for the Z4 anyhow, but this one looks pretty good until you get to that God awful wing thing on the back. I like the tire package. I've not seen the hardtop version of a Z4 before. I'm not sure that is even offered in the States, but I could be wrong on that point.

I'm more of a utilitarian, and lean to the 330 convertibles. I could suffer through a 335 convertible if I had to.

My point is, I prefer the space and the lines of the 4-seaters over those of the 2-seater; that's if I was buying one. I'd certainly enjoy driving a Z4 if given the chance, but I'd have to pass on buying one and turn my attention to the 330. I like the M3 convertibles too, but from a pure appearance perspective, the differences are pretty subtle.

At this stage in my life, the space of the 3 Series is more to my liking than the Z cars provide.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Somebody once asked about aftermarket wheels for his car, an M3 as I recall. My opinion is that M3s already have about the best looking rims on the road, and changing them to aftermarket parts is not a good idea. I think that nice cars should carry OEM parts, especially major parts such as rims. This is not a hard and fast rule, but a generalization.

Your car looks pretty nice, except for the wing. Having said that, I've never seen a wing that I like, so it's not just your implementation.

Basically, I'm just an opinionated asshole that doesn't care that I might offend somebody's sensibilities.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey!

Thanks for the answers.

The BMW Z4 M Coupe is kind of rare. I don't know if it was available in the U.S. since I live in Europe. The reason why it's such an unusual sight might be because of its looks. Hehe! I have to agree that the BMW M3 is a much more beautiful car. But since I'm competing in car styling it is important for me to have a unique car.

I have done several engine upgrades. Right now it has 750 + horse powers. I would be glad to answer any questions on how to make BMW's faster.

fp.

Reply to
fp

Well, the car does look good, except for that thing growing off of the back. All that matters is if you and the judges like it, I think it's silly and serves no functional purpose. I'm all about function over form. But that's just me.

To be fair, if there is a function -- such as on the track -- then it is a necessary part, and I'm good with that. But if the sole purpose is the form, then I'd not be having it.

You said you compete with the car, I assume in shows where they grade on the shine and fitment of various parts. How are you doing relative to the other competitors in your class?

You also said that you have pumped up the horsepower, what did you do? Given the HP increases, it occurs to me that the wing actually has a vital job to do ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The E86 Z4 M Coupe is sold in the US. I agree with Jeff, you really need to get rid of that wing. It really makes the car look like a "ricer" and ruins the lines of the car.

The E93 335i convertible is a nice looking car. Just make sure it has the intercooler!

Reply to
Brewster Fong

I'm not a big Z4 fan, don't like it from the side. But the Z4 coupe is nicer looking than the convertible. It was sold in the US but I'm sure it's rare. If I were to get a Z car it'd have to be a Z1 ;-)

Other than the supercharger what did you do to get 750BHP?

Reply to
John Burns

The E86 Z4 M Coupe is sold in the US. I agree with Jeff, you really need to get rid of that wing. It really makes the car look like a "ricer" and ruins the lines of the car.

The E93 335i convertible is a nice looking car. Just make sure it has the intercooler!

I have to go with the 330 for that reason. Having said that, can one buy a factory-equipped turbo and NOT have an intercooler? It seems to me that an intercooler would be a required part of the system if there was any hope of warranty coverage.

I saw an E93 328 today, the top was up and I would have to see a coupe sitting beside it to tell the differences. I'd like to see one with the top down. (I'd really like to see the top in action, I would like to see how it folds in on itself to fit into the trunk, or where ever it goes.)

I gotta say, I like my E36 better, and I also like the E46 better, than the E93. That's just an observation of the overall lines of the cars, I'm not considering the noise levels -- my E36 has windnoise with the top up that I am pretty sure does not exist with the E46 (glass window and all of that), and the folding hardtop of the E93 has got to be even more quiet.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Its my understanding that some E92/93 335i, I believe the ones without the sport package, did not have an intercooler. Its crazy as the E92s are known to run hot! Further, even some of the ones with the sport package may not have it too. Unbelieveable. Therefore, if someone was looking for a used one, that is one thing that should be check. If the car doesn't have one, I hear Dinan makes an excellent aftermarket one. Costly, but excellent.

Reply to
Brewster Fong

Its my understanding that some E92/93 335i, I believe the ones without the sport package, did not have an intercooler. Its crazy as the E92s are known to run hot! Further, even some of the ones with the sport package may not have it too. Unbelieveable. Therefore, if someone was looking for a used one, that is one thing that should be check. If the car doesn't have one, I hear Dinan makes an excellent aftermarket one. Costly, but excellent.

That surprises me! With all of the trouble early adopters of turbochargers had before they figured out how to connect a coler, I'm surprised that BMW would even offer a turbo without a cooler.

Maybe I'm mixing my apples and oranges here ...

In any case, I think that I'd be looking at the 330 anyway. It has all of the power that I could ever need, and all of the style in terms of curb appeal that the 335 has.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Interestingly in the UK/europe the E34 525 diesel could be had with or without an intercooler and was called the td or tds if it had one fitted.

Reply to
John Burns

regards

"fp" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@e18g2000yqo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
frischmoutt

The purpose of an intercooler is to cool are air going into the engine, not to cool the engine. They do not help with "running hot". That's the job of radiators and oil coolers.

Indeed. What is believable, and correct, is that the early 335's did not have an *oil* cooler, and that one was eventually added.

Reply to
dizzy

Dude, I think everything about the car is awesome EXCEPT the wing is AWFUL. With a piece of art like the Z4 M, if you are going to add something for downward force, you have got to add something as equally artful. The wing is obvious and out of place and you are mixing the beautiful rounded lines of the Z4 with the square lines of the wing, the color of the car with the stark contrast of the black, the subtle power of the Roundel against the obvious cheapness of the makers mark of the wing. Just trying to be constructive and specific so maybe you can use the critique to form a plan of action.

Regards D

Reply to
dkraaf

The car looks fine except for the wing. It makes it look like a giant shopping cart. I would take it off.

Reply to
wernergr