few question about the bmw535i E39

Hi I am a new owner of a 1999 bmw535i E39 (V8). the car has done about 140,000km ( 85000m?). there is a small fan sound behind the ready panel even the car is turned off and door locked. is it normal? also,
the car has full bmw service ( last oil change was about 9000miles ago). i guess the dealer would have used the bmw longlife engine oil? i am going to do the most oil serviceby myself. just wondering how many miles the longlife engine oil need to be changed? for the auto trany, do i need to change it? also, what else should I be careful ( like water pump, etc). how long the water pump can last before it need attention? many thanks, john
--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.AutoBoardz.com interface.
Articles individually verified to usenet standards.

Yes, my e38 does the same thing. After 16 minutes the car goes into sleep mode! It may stop then. If it's an automatic you'll notice the led next to the gear you've selected stays lit when you leave the car. Once in sleep mode the LED goes out.

Change the auto tranny every 60k miles.
The cooling system on the V8s is not well made. Be careful with it. Change it and the brake fluid every two years.
I'd use a GOOD synthetic oil and change it every 10-12k miles. Won't hurt to change the filter every 6k miles though.

The E39 has a service interval system that is tied to fuel consumption (more city driving, poorer mileage, more frequent service). It cycles from Oil to Inspection 1 to Oil to Inspection 2 and so forth. Intervals are typically 24 - 28,000km range. I'd replace the oil twice as often.
Not sure about the small V-8, but the 4.4 is noted for radiator failures in the 100-125,000lm range. The water pump is another weakness and should be changed around that mileage. Preventative replacement of the radiator isn't a bad idea because catastrophic failure can destroy the engine quite quickly unless it is parked immediately (heads warp and pull bolts from the block).
Auto trans fluid every 75,000km, differential and power steering fluid every 50,000km. None of these were/are addressed by BMW in the E39 service.
Hopefully, your car has its service handbook which outlines what is done at each interval. Mostly checks on systems. Keepnig the fluids and filters fresh is the most important thing you can do to insure your car's life will be a long one.
R / John
BMW535I wrote:

auto tranny, but I advise you research the type of tranny oil and change it now - then relax and smile. I would look it up for you in my Bentley but I left it yesterday with my independent mechanic along with my E39. Do yourself a huge favor and purchase the two volume Bentley Manual for this car. It is a pleasure to use, essential to have, and worth many times what you will be for it - say $120 online. How many trips to the mechanic would it take to spend $120? My sense on the water pump is that there is usually some leakage visible before total failure. If you are going to be traveling/living in the sticks, put one in the trunk. If you are city person, wait until it goes to buy one . I had one last over 200,000. It depends ultimately on your money and your tolerance for inconvenience. You will never be sure when it will go out, only that some day not too far off it will.
thanks for your kind help. just found some coolant lost on the floor near the rear of the engine. there is NO water in the oil. and i have tested the car with the heater and aircon off, then there is no leak. lt only leak when the heater and aircon is turned on. looks like somethiing to do with the heater pump? there is no coolant inside the car. i would have to top up the bottle about 1/3 after 200 miles highway drive ( with heater on). what coud be the problems? where is the heater pump located ( heater core) located? is it easy to replace?
thanks, spring
"mark barron" wrote: > BMW535I wrote: > > Hi I am a new owner of a 1999 bmw535i E39 (V8). the car has > done about > > 140,000km ( 85000m?). there is a small fan sound behind the > ready > > panel even the car is turned off and door locked. is it > normal? also, > > the car has full bmw service ( last oil change was about > 9000miles > > ago). i guess the dealer would have used the bmw longlife > engine oil? > > i am going to do the most oil serviceby myself. just > wondering how > > many miles the longlife engine oil need to be changed? for > the auto > > trany, do i need to change it? also, what else should I be > careful ( > > like water pump, etc). how long the water pump can last > before it need > > attention? > > many thanks, > > john > > > IMHO Change oil with Mobil 1 every 6-7,000 miles. I have never > had a BMW > auto tranny, but I advise you research the type of tranny oil > and > change it now - then relax and smile. I would look it up for > you in my > Bentley but I left it yesterday with my independent mechanic > along with > my E39. Do yourself a huge favor and purchase the two volume > Bentley Manual for this car. It is a pleasure to use, > essential to have, > and worth many times what you will be for it - say $120 > online. How many > trips to the mechanic would it take to spend $120? > My sense on the water pump is that there is usually some > leakage visible > before total failure. If you are going to be traveling/living > in the > sticks, put one in the trunk. If you are city person, wait > until it goes > to buy one . I had one last over 200,000. It depends > ultimately on your > money and your tolerance for inconvenience. You will never be > sure when > it will go out, only that some day not too far off it will.

I do not believe there is a seperate heater pump. The heater core is under the dash and is difficult to replace. Check the hoses carefully and hope you have a bad hose. --scott

Some models have an electric pump to run the heating when the engine is stopped.
--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Yes, the E38 has one. Does the E39 as well? As I recall, the one on the E38 had a plastic body but was fairly easy to get to from underneath. Much easier than getting to the heater core. --scott

Agreed. Wasn't a bad job at all to get at it.

The parts CD shows an electric auxilliary water pump, it's built into the heater valve assembly. My E38 730i V8 has the same thing and I had to replace it with a used one from ebay.
Cars with the latent heat store option have an additional pump as well, a second electric pump.