Finally learning how to drive stick!!

Page 1 of 2
With my lease ending in late March, I decided no more automatic trans for me. I've been learning how to drive stick and I'm getting pretty good at it. Hills are still a bit tricky for me, but i'm getting the
hang of it.
The '06 330i i've been eyeing will be oh so sweeter in a nice 6-speed!!!
about something:

Pssst... You really should keep quiet about this, or keep it to a US based forum only... Over here in the UK pretty much every teenager learns how to drive in a Manual (stick to you). The only teenagers you hear of taking an automatic only driving test are physically/mentally unable to use a manual and therefore subject to much mickey/piss taking (I think that's busting your chops in American).
An automatic is either something you move on to as you learn that start stop traffic jams are a pain in the left leg or something you borrow off your dad!
And before I get chewed up by the auto brigade, I've got a auto specifically to deal with the M25 traffic!
Good luck anyway Shant M, just remember not to ride the clutch or you'll be going through them faster than brake pads.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

why limit yourself to the six speed... the new m5 has a 7 speed smg... not quite as connected as the actual clutch pedal... but wow... 7 speeds... what fun I could have....
Corey Shuman wrote:

Personally, I prefer the fun of driving the car myself.
--
-Fred W

Then wait a year until the fully manual version is available - supposedly *ONLY* in the US because diehards demanded it. It's not clear if the manual version will even be available in Europe, poor fellows. ;->
Floyd

But that's an auto. ;-)
--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers.

7 speeds, how boring, even my bicycle has 8 speeds;-) If you really want a challenge, go for a 8x8 heavy truck with 450 HP and 16 speed gearbox;-) Frank (who knows how to shift and therefore prefers auto trans;-))
BTW: I just recently read a test, where a 7 speed tiptronic launch control itzy gitzy M5 was simply beaten at 0-60 mph by a Mercedes CLS 55 AMG with an ordinary 5 speed slushbox - this is really disgusting...
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Whether it is disgusting is just a matter of the point of view. From the Merc perspective it is a great result, proving how good (and 'unslushy') Merc auto is...
;-) DAS
PS. I agree with you about knowing manual but preferring auto...
"Frank Kemper" < snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de> wrote in message
Dodgy wrote:

..or you don't like 4 gear changes to get to 30mph in a 6-speed.

You can always skip gears if not in a hurry.
--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

On 27 Oct 2005 05:12:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk waffled on about something:

What kind of truck do you drive adder?!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

That's what I was thinking - I am only in 1st or 2nd depending how much a I pushing the car.

So you normally drive your BMW in 5th gear at 30 mph. How does it cruise at 1200 rpm?
Tom
Tom K. wrote:

Should have said 3 changes from 1st (or four in total from neutral.) 1200rpm in top is about 30mph.

:-)))
-- It's a good idea to drive a little Japanese/Ford/whatever shopping machine once a year to remind yourself why you're in a BMW for the rest of the year. by John Burns. '98 328i coupe t.

Posts like these are only going to get more and more common. The conventional manual transmission's days are numbered. The writing is well and truly on the wall.
I went to a tyre shop to get some new rubber fitted and needed a lift to work just down the road from the shop. I asked if someone from the workshop could come with me and take the car back to the shop with them to fit the tyres. "Sure" said the helpful guy behind the counter and got one of the most junior kids in the workshop to come with me.
When we got to the car, he looked in through the window and sheepishly said "sorry, I can't drive this car". I didn't twig the reason why so he had to tell me he'd never driven a car with a clutch before.
A guy gets a job in a business doing work on customer's cars and he doesn't know how to drive a manual!! Sadly not that unusual believe it or not and only going to get more common.

I had to drive a buddies car back for him the other week -- imagine my dread when I saw the automatic shifter!
After figuring out you hit the brake to shift into go and then hitting the brake about 20 times looking for the clutch it wasn't too bad.
It certainly didn't feel like driving, more like holding on while the damn car decided what to do.
Not fun at all.. i'll never own one of those dang things
I learned to drive a stick with a 3-on-the-tree, a 3 speed that had the shifter on the side of the steering column.

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Hell-yeah...
My first car was a '63 Ford Falcon ragtop w/ the 260cu.in. V8 & 3 on the tree. I couldn't stick with the column shifter though (too granny for me) so I put a Hurst floor shifter in it.
That was back in what, 1973? I paid $250 for it with ~35 k miles on the clock. But I think it was only around a $2k car when it was new and I remember buying gas then at ~ .35/gal.
--
-Fred W

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:02:31 -0400, Malt_Hound

One of my early ones was a '62 or '63 Ford Cortina - pre-crossflow, unfortunately - with a *four* speed column shifter. The shifter actually wasn't too bad at all - quite positive. At that time Ford definitely had the better gearboxes. The only other column shift that I had that came close to being good was a Renault 16 TS. But that car rusted even faster than the Cortina did.
--
Dan.