Finally learning how to drive stick!!

:-)))

-- It's a good idea to drive a little Japanese/Ford/whatever shopping machine once a year to remind yourself why you're in a BMW for the rest of the year. by John Burns. '98 328i coupe t.

Reply to
Tomislav Buric

"Corey Shuman" haute in die Tasten:

7 speeds, how boring, even my bicycle has 8 speeds;-) If you really want a challenge, go for a 8x8 heavy truck with 450 HP and 16 speed gearbox;-) Frank (who knows how to shift and therefore prefers auto trans;-))

BTW: I just recently read a test, where a 7 speed tiptronic launch control itzy gitzy M5 was simply beaten at 0-60 mph by a Mercedes CLS

55 AMG with an ordinary 5 speed slushbox - this is really disgusting...

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Dean Dark haute in die Tasten:

Do they sell the 130i over there in the US? 3 litre inline 6 engine,

260 HP, RWD, 6 speed gearbox and roughly the size of a 2002;-)

Unfortunately I read a test review a few days ago which said that the manual shift is lousy compared to usual BMW standards.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Whether it is disgusting is just a matter of the point of view. From the Merc perspective it is a great result, proving how good (and 'unslushy') Merc auto is...

;-) DAS

PS. I agree with you about knowing manual but preferring auto...

Dori A Schmetterling

...and it isn't exacly eye-candy.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

Full Ack! I wonder if they will ever launch this nice little 2 door convertible they were showing as a prototype in advance of the 1' series launch

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Very nice looking but...the URL contains the word "compact".

Is this a resurrection of the old Compact? Shortened 3 with outdated engines...?... :-) Better to buy a Ford convertible?...

And I should have written "exactly" with a t. I blame it all on the e-mail culture of not caring about spelling or grammar...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

"Dori A Schmetterling" haute in die Tasten:

In fact I found the picture on a (quite mediocre) BMW 3'series compact fan site. IIRC BMW developed both the new 1' series and the E90 3'series in that way that they share quite a lot of parts and that they are ready to share one assembly line. In order not to "cannibalize" the 3'series sales, BMW at first planned to sell the

1'series only with 4 cylinder engines. OTOH the 1' series is substantially more expensive than its main competitor Golf, so I think BMW had to add a 6 cylinder engine to make tke car more luxurious. AFAIK there is no new 3'series compact to be launched, but I have not heard anything about a really compact 1'series twoo door hatchback. IMHO BMW should rethink its 1'series product lineup. Over here in munich they drive around everywhere, but I assume this has to do with thousands of BMW workers which get them with a nice discount and would have bought a Golf instead if BMW was not offering such a small car.

I do like the Idea of a small, yet "real" BMW, which means RWD, manual gearbox and I6 engine. But I do find the current 1'series ugly and too expensive. Every now and then I think about the idea of finding the perfect unspoiled two door E30 325i with manual trans, shadowline trim, M-Sports package 1, in silver with black leather, but in fact I own two cars, and adding a 3rd one may endanger my marriage;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

I am sure you are right on the first point.

On the second point, in Munich be different, be daring and... . . . .

buy a car made in Stuttgart (either suburb) (or Bremen or Osnabrück)....

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling