Finally learning how to drive stick!!

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

The Mercedes column 4-speed of that era on my old 190 was quite good as well.
-- Larry
not*yahoo.com"> wrote:

Your 16 TS' shifter must have been better than the 4 on the floor in my '78 Renault 5 (Le Car). My poor daughter learned to shift on that car; with the usual technique involving a lunge forward and towards the steering wheel for 1st, aim for the back seat for 2nd, into the glovebox for 3rd and we won't discuss 4th. Like most American owners, I didn't keep the Renault long enough to find out about rust!
I was lucky to have a '52 Dodge 6 as my first car. Due to the fluid coupling in concert with a column shift 3-speed & conventional clutch, I learned how to shift and manipulate the clutch without the worry of stalling the engine. Of course, after a year or so, I had the stator blades welded together which improved the fuel mileage from about 9 to 14 mpg.
Tom
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:43:47 -0400, "Tom K."

I bow to your experience with your Renault 5. However, the 16 was a different beastie, and mechanically it was pretty good. That it was also a tinworm magnet probably explains why none are left, though I'm sure someone will chip in with a tale of how their Uncle Norman has one that's still as good as the day he drove it off the showroom floor.
ISTR that Lotus used the 16's engine, gearbox & transaxle in the first versions of the Europa, the only change being a crown wheel side-switch mod. to avoid having four reverse gears and one forward one.
What does all this have to do with BMWs? Damned if I know. Except that I'd *love* to see BMW selling a decent, mid-engine sports car.
I caught the mid-engine bug years ago. Once you've got it, there's no going back. It's all about polar moments of inertia, turn-in and corner speed.
--
Dan.

Do they sell the 130i over there in the US? 3 litre inline 6 engine, 260 HP, RWD, 6 speed gearbox and roughly the size of a 2002;-)
Unfortunately I read a test review a few days ago which said that the manual shift is lousy compared to usual BMW standards.
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
...and it isn't exacly eye-candy.
DAS

Full Ack! I wonder if they will ever launch this nice little 2 door convertible they were showing as a prototype in advance of the 1' series launch
http://www.bmwcompact.de/picts/cs1b.jpg
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Very nice looking but...the URL contains the word "compact".
Is this a resurrection of the old Compact? Shortened 3 with outdated engines...?... :-) Better to buy a Ford convertible?...
And I should have written "exactly" with a t. I blame it all on the e-mail culture of not caring about spelling or grammar...
DAS
"Frank Kemper" < snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de> wrote in message

In fact I found the picture on a (quite mediocre) BMW 3'series compact fan site. IIRC BMW developed both the new 1' series and the E90 3'series in that way that they share quite a lot of parts and that they are ready to share one assembly line. In order not to "cannibalize" the 3'series sales, BMW at first planned to sell the 1'series only with 4 cylinder engines. OTOH the 1' series is substantially more expensive than its main competitor Golf, so I think BMW had to add a 6 cylinder engine to make tke car more luxurious. AFAIK there is no new 3'series compact to be launched, but I have not heard anything about a really compact 1'series twoo door hatchback. IMHO BMW should rethink its 1'series product lineup. Over here in munich they drive around everywhere, but I assume this has to do with thousands of BMW workers which get them with a nice discount and would have bought a Golf instead if BMW was not offering such a small car.
I do like the Idea of a small, yet "real" BMW, which means RWD, manual gearbox and I6 engine. But I do find the current 1'series ugly and too expensive. Every now and then I think about the idea of finding the perfect unspoiled two door E30 325i with manual trans, shadowline trim, M-Sports package 1, in silver with black leather, but in fact I own two cars, and adding a 3rd one may endanger my marriage;-)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
I am sure you are right on the first point.
On the second point, in Munich be different, be daring and... . . . .
buy a car made in Stuttgart (either suburb) (or Bremen or Osnabrck)....