Finding a registration plate? (uk)

Hi,
I would like to find out if a certain number plate is available for sale in the UK but the only way I know of doing this is buying TopGear magazine and
then searching all the adverts in the back, which would take me a lifetime!
Is there anywhere that has a central list of plates available? I know www.DVLA-SOM.co.uk have some on there but they are only the ones they have for sale.
Thanks
Daz
I don't think there's a central list of *all* available plates in the UK ... that would be very handy, but somewhat difficult to compile!
You could try www.regtransfers.co.uk if you're looking for ideas. Or if you're looking for a specific one, you could put a "wanted" ad in one of the motoring mags.
In fact, a quick google shows that there are several number plate websites out there. Good luck!

DVLA is the main source. One can phone them, too.
Otherwise the Sunday Times (Driving section) is a good place for adverts.
DAS
"Jo Ling" < snipped-for-privacy@disney.com> wrote in message
news:43e23395 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

As one can lots of other organisations - and (after ages on hold on a premium rate number) get someone in another country, whose first language is not English, who can't deal with anything over the phone...
Not for nothing was the DVLA/C know for years in the computer press as "The Joke Factory".
A few years ago (2001) I bought a personalised plate and don't recollect a problem phoning DVLA.
It could have got worse, of course.
Anyway, they have an easy-to-use website.
DAS
"R. Mark Clayton" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:drtrku$ils$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Most of the selling companies talk to one another. So ask any of them - they'll do the search for you.
--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

in
and
lifetime!
I used Elite Registrations (I'm sure Google will throw them up). I told them what I wanted and 6 months later they found it for me.
BTW, what plate are you looking for?
A friend who is a radio ham has his call-sign on his car. Apparently he went to one of his radio ham "meets", and he and two other hams were parked in a row - all with their call-signs on their numberplates. Neat, eh?

sale
take
Go to the AA website and you can stick in the plate and see if its already registered.

Just done an insurance quote and put that reg in, seems as though it's already taken, d'oh!
m3 djn, BMW 1995-1997, M3, 2990cc, 4 Door, Petrol, Manual
So now I need to find out who's got it and will they sell!

Nice one ... insurance quote, eh? Never thought of that! D'oh.

Nice one ... insurance quote, eh? Never thought of that! D'oh.
Over here in the Colonies, we can go to our State Department of Motor Vehicles website -- at least I can -- and plug in a plate number to see if it has been taken. The website comes back with a report that the plate is taken or available.

www.newreg.co.uk has the best number plate search engine
Easily