First BMW Purchase

OK, so I am in the process of purchasing my first BMW. It is a 2003 745Li with only 8K. I have never owned a German Car... I currently have a 1998 Lexus GS300 which has been remarkably reliable... This buying opportunity fell into my lap and was such that I really couldn't pass it up... In any event... Anyone else gone from Lexus to BMW, Only to be fulfilled with bliss and happiness... ?

Reply to
Ben

Actually, I have gone from BMW to BMW to BMW for a long while.... volkswagen at the start of time taught me german. Welcome, you made the right choice, it may not be as reliable as your lexus (go knock on some wood!) - it will certainly please all your senses more.

Reply to
Sharkman540i

For what it's worth:

When I was looking at buying a new car I looked at most of them from Acura to Mercedes to Lexus to BMW.

I test drove the Lexus and the BMW on the same day. For pure driving enjoyment, let reliability be damned, I bought a BMW the day I test drove one and don't have a single regret.

Reply to
joe_tide

You're right. Once a car is German, it is a proper Car...

:-) DA

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Yow, if "reliability" is your main concern I think you may be disappointed. Although the BMW will easily out drive and perform your Lexus, that particular model, 2002/03 E65/66 7 Series, are known to have ALOT of problems.

I would thoroughtly get the car checked out before purchasing. Further, make sure the latest software upgrades have been done. Finally, I normally don't believe in this, but if you have the option of buying an extended warranty, it may be worth getting.

Reply to
bfd

Ben,

BMW is good if you want to enjoy the driving experience. As an owner, if you do not get the facts about that particular BMW you will drive, it can be a financial nightmare, especially if you do not buy the extended warranty.

Ensure that the BMW has a full service history, in particular in areas such as cooling system, engine (including rocker covers, camshafts, and tappets), regular oil changes (including spraybar), front suspension arms, and air conditioner servicing. Also, check if the ceiling has issues. If not, you may find that you'll have to deal with this components yourself.

I would also ensure that *all* electrical items, including the heating, are fully operational. I have to replace bulbs in the automatch tranmission gear indicator and the right-turn indicator in the speedometer cluster. Refer to news message news: snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net for more information.

I've gone through the above myself with my E36 BMW 318i 1993 model, so I know the pain. I also know that when the car is running, it is running well.

My car now has over 180000kms on the odometer, and my mechanic (who has done all the servicing work since I bouth it with 104000kms on the odometer) advises that I have little left to do on the car i.e. transmission service, ceiling refitting, and interior indicator lights (transmission and cluster).

Do you have a good mechanic that you trust? If not, find one before buying the car. BMWs need good mechanics who fix problems that don't come back. If your car is like mine, your mechanic will always let you queue jump to get the car fixed. It will be in the mechanic's financial interests.

Out of interest, I've thrown an air-pod on my car and I plan on getting the exhaust replaced as it is still the original, and other car enthusiasts believe that the exhaust is causing performance issues.

This news-group is an excellent source of information. I wish I was aware of its existence before I purchased my car. It would have saved me heaps.

In conclusion, if you find a good well-serviced and well-maintained (where new parts have been used instead of parts from wreckers), I think you will have a good BMW-car-ownership experience in addition to the pleasure it is to drive a BMW. If I ever buy another BMW, of course it will be a six cylinder engine. Four cylinder is a waste of time. And with my learnings of owning a BMW already, and with the excellent information kindfully posted by other users and BMW owners, I am certain that I will find a much better BMW than mine. I've always liked the look of the late '90s 5-series.

Kind Regards,

-- Jason @HOME

8MP Australia 745Li | with only 8K. I have never owned a German Car... I currently have a 1998 | Lexus GS300 which has been remarkably reliable... This buying opportunity | fell into my lap and was such that I really couldn't pass it up... In any | event... Anyone else gone from Lexus to BMW, Only to be fulfilled with | bliss and happiness... ?
Reply to
djtep