First BMW Purchase

OK, so I am in the process of purchasing my first BMW. It is a 2003 745Li with only 8K. I have never owned a German Car... I currently have a 1998
Lexus GS300 which has been remarkably reliable... This buying opportunity fell into my lap and was such that I really couldn't pass it up... In any event... Anyone else gone from Lexus to BMW, Only to be fulfilled with bliss and happiness... ?
Actually, I have gone from BMW to BMW to BMW for a long while.... volkswagen at the start of time taught me german. Welcome, you made the right choice, it may not be as reliable as your lexus (go knock on some wood!) - it will certainly please all your senses more.

For what it's worth:
When I was looking at buying a new car I looked at most of them from Acura to Mercedes to Lexus to BMW.
I test drove the Lexus and the BMW on the same day. For pure driving enjoyment, let reliability be damned, I bought a BMW the day I test drove one and don't have a single regret.

You're right. Once a car is German, it is a proper Car...
:-) DA
Yow, if "reliability" is your main concern I think you may be disappointed. Although the BMW will easily out drive and perform your Lexus, that particular model, 2002/03 E65/66 7 Series, are known to have ALOT of problems.
I would thoroughtly get the car checked out before purchasing. Further, make sure the latest software upgrades have been done. Finally, I normally don't believe in this, but if you have the option of buying an extended warranty, it may be worth getting.
Ben,
BMW is good if you want to enjoy the driving experience. As an owner, if you do not get the facts about that particular BMW you will drive, it can be a financial nightmare, especially if you do not buy the extended warranty.
Ensure that the BMW has a full service history, in particular in areas such as cooling system, engine (including rocker covers, camshafts, and tappets), regular oil changes (including spraybar), front suspension arms, and air conditioner servicing. Also, check if the ceiling has issues. If not, you may find that you'll have to deal with this components yourself.
I would also ensure that *all* electrical items, including the heating, are fully operational. I have to replace bulbs in the automatch tranmission gear indicator and the right-turn indicator in the speedometer cluster. Refer to news message