Fix Computer Clock LED Backlight...

After a little tussle changing headset.. the backlight has stopped working on the clock side of the coumpter. The diagnostic side works OK.
I've tried disconnecting & re-connecting etc but no clock.
In strong sunlight ,at the right angle, I can still see the clock working away, an it beeps every hour etc.
Any cheap way to get the backlight fixed?
Cheers, Lordy 1994 320i coupe

Sounds like a bulb needs replacing. I had the same problem with the trip recorder on my E34. A new bulb fixed it. Mike.
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:31:37 +0100, Mike G wrote:

[re Backlight for clock half of dash-computer on E36]
Cheers. Is this a part I can source and install myself?
Lordy

Yes. Took about 10 mins on my E34 to remove and replace the instrument panel to get at the bulbs. I'd assume the panel on an E36 would take a similar time providing it doesn't foul the steering wheel. Have a look in one of the BMW forums for specifics. Just needs withdrawing enough to remove and replace the bulbs, which simply plug in with a quarter turn. Mike
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:39:18 +0100, Mike G wrote:

Thanks for the info but maybe were talking about two different things. My problem is with the computer situated below the headset and above the gearstick. It is a pullout unit with a Red/Orange LCD display. It is the LCD backlight that has stopped working.
Cheers, Lordy

Same solution, just a different location. The LCD displays rely on a std bulb to be visible. This link below refers to the bulbs for an E34 computer. http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/panel_lights.htm I've little doubt the ones for yours are fitted in the same way. The bulbs shown seem to be common for all the lCD displays. Mike.
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:35:10 +0100, Mike G wrote:

Thanks. I'll have a poke around tomorrow!
Lordy
Mike G wrote:

I've got an E30 with a slightly different problem -- the backlight is fine but the LCD itself is damaged. I'm quite familiar with electronics but this is a unique part -- does anybody know where I might buy a replacement or am I just going to have to buy the whole module? (And if so, is there a better source than the local salvage yard?)
Ed
wrote in message

You could try eBay. Computer modules often come up for sale. The sale prices seem to to be around 20-40 depending on condition. If appearance is anything to go by, the same module is fitted to more than one model of car, so it might be worth checking which ones will fit. Mike.
On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:44:23 +0100, Mike G wrote:

Cheers. I might try that.
Lordy

Is this LCD or the BMW sort of dot matrix readout as on the mileage etc display?
--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:49:25 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Its LCD ( I think). My subject header was wrong. Sorry. I'll have to take a piccie! The text is orange when backlit. but its not dot matrix. It looks like LCD technology with some night-view backlight - so it appears orange on black. Its def not LED (No light being emitted! except via the backlight which is now defunct!)
Lordy
The display has 4 bulbs in it, 3 for the message display and 1 for the clock. The clock's bulb is burnt out.