Flaking paint on mirror bracket

I have a '99 323is, and on both mirrors, the "stuff" that covers the mirror brackets is flaking off. I'd like to repair this - is it just paint, or something else? It seems to have a rougher feel than paint,
but maybe that is because of the surface it is covering - I'm not really sure.
Thanks, Scott