Flood damage to car engines

Page 2 of 4

in all my 70's celicas i had, i used to blast through floods, hell the water was higher than my car with the spash...theres a couple of road sin Sheffield that always flood, ones under a bridge in a dip, i always went through it, the other cars had to goto the middle of the road slow, and still conk out, i used to just keep going, only problem i had, was the force on the streering wheel, or if i forgot to shut the window...
good fun....

For future reference, sucking water into the motor can be fatal for the motor. This is not something that is new. The term of this is hydrolock. Water does not compress as the piston rises, the resulting solid block that forms between the top of the piston and the bottom of the cylinder head can cause any number of horrible things to happen. Typically, a connecting rod will break.
When you drive into water and make a splash that washes over the hood, there is an air pocket around the engine intake, but if the water is deep enough, when the pocket collapses water can get sucked into the motor. If the motor is spinning slowly at that point, it may only stall out due to the intrusion of water, but if the motor is cranking at a high speed then the solid block of water will do serious damage. It you are lucky, the distributor gets wet and stalls the motor before any serious damage can result. Of course, at that point water is high enough to seep in around the doors and soak the carpets, but that can be dried.

yeah, the air intake on the old celcia's was a tiny hole, on a long neck.....of course when i was young i didnt think of the outcome, just laughing at the other cars....guess i was lucky though

Distributor? ;-)
--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Well, on an older motor, or at least a motor with yesteryear technology.
I am absolutely amazed at how stupidity gets so much play these days. I remember when someone would just say "dumbass" and the subject was dropped. This thread has taken on a life of it's own. Almost "troll-like".
Bill in Omaha '86 535i
BINGO!!

dumbass.
Bill wrote:

Nice try, but you forgot about Oscar!
Tom K.

Thank You and goodnight.
That's a very nice story, Brad. Thanks for the entertainment.

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:49:59 -0400, "bradthomas"

Congratulations, your stupidity has killed a car. Replace it with something cheaper until you learn your lesson...

Water does not compress. You can put it under pressure, but you can't compress it. What has happened to your engine is a result of attempting to do so. At least you have now had the opportunity to learn this.

Take any science classes in school?

You're giving poeple WAY too much credit. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers...

The older cars suffered from cracked exhaust manifold and sometimes even engine blocks as the hot CAST IRON parts were cooled rapidly by cold water.

You're lucky they're paying anything...

So it's all one big conspiracy? Are you kidding? If it were really that big of a problem, don't you think there would be a public outcry or something? Not in thier best interest? If the cars they built were widely known to have major faults, do you think they'd be selling many of them?

See the text inserted above and maybe you'll get a grip on what happened. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you other than to buy a bicycle. They'll go through as much water as you want to pedal through (although you might want to repack the bearings afterwards to avoid having to point the finger at the bicycle manufacturer later down the road). In case you are wondering why, the bearings will eventually rust due to the excess moisture trapped in the bearing cavity. I doubt you're going to find anyone that is going to side with you on this. Good luck however...
I dont know if most of you taking this seriously in the write context. I have worked on engines since I was a boy and my Dad has been an Engineer within the car industry for 40 years and this problem can be prevented by sensors that can cause engine shut down. The fact you are talking as if this was done on purpose? In England floods are an every month occurance and I have been through hundreds of floods in my time some a lot deeper than this one was. So the manufactures have a responsability to point out the dangers in their handbook but they dont why?

Just how do you shut down a rotating engine instantly? You could, I suppose, fit a valve on the intake to prevent water ingress as they do on some severe off road vehicles, but you've got a car, haven't you?

Since you and your dad appear to be such experts, why didn't you notice the position of the air intake?
--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

The manufacturer has no responsibility to tell you that you are stupid, then protect you from yourself.
The problem can be prevented by being smarter than a rock.
PS Its "right context," not write.

This guy impresses me as being as smart as the guys that go *AROUND* the signs that "Road Closed Due to Water" that then need to be rescued.
FloydR

So why does Smith & Wesson put a warning notice on their gun boxes and instruction saying "Guns can Kill do not point a loaded weapon at anything you do not wish to be destroyed." (or something very similar as I haven't seen one for about 10 years now)
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

I think it was Smith's idea. He was a dumbass. Or maybe it was Wesson?
--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

Hehe.

Because a judge made them do it. You can be sure that they know guns can kill, and they expect their customers to know that. But, they are warning against the dangers of a gun, not the dangers of taking a car swimming when swimming is not something that cars are built and bred to do.
Gun makers are not protecting you from yourself, they are protecting me from you.