Flood damage to car engines

Page 3 of 4

No they are not Jeff. they are protecting themselves from me and you from filing a law suit for not telling us it was dangerous to point a loaded weapon at something you didn't want destroyed. I think it was exactly this type of class action that made them and Colt do it.
However, back to our guy in the UK. It is not unusual to encounter a public road with a FORD (a stream crossing not the car although mistakes do happen and there is often a loud crunch!)
Many motoring book and magazines used to give out information regularly regarding "hazardous" driving situations in the summer but mainly for the winter months and driving through flood water or streams was always - "Select the lowest gear you can and proceed very slowly keeping the revs as high as possible by (if the car has one) slipping the clutch"
This advice has always stuck in my mind from an early age and I would guess that the OP had been given such advice in the past - maybe by a driving instructor - I may be mistaken but if I remember correctly at one time this advice was also given in the UK "Highway Code" which is almost the UK driving bible although it may not be in the current version which is being withdrawn due to the fact that the wording instructs cyclists to use the cycle tracks if provided instead of advising them - Bikes should be banned from the roads!!!!!!!!!!
BTW apparently cyclists are not subject to speed limits as there is no requirement to have a speedo' fitted but are liable to be "done" for reckless riding.

Ultimately that is precisely what they are doing. But they aren't worried that you are going to harm yourself and then sue, they are worried that you are going to harm me, then I will sue because they did not caution you to not harm me.
No matter what, or whom, the gun makers are protecting against, the idea behind what they are doing is much different than what the OP is wanting. I'd like to see the OP go after the car cmpany because they did not tell him that the car was not intended to be a boat ...

If he does, (no matter the outcome) we'll see new BMW stickers saying "WARNING: Do Not Drive in the River", and the product liability lawyers will pocket their fee.
Tom K.

Good God! And I bought a convertible thinking that half the time I could use it as a boat!
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:54:07 -0400, "bradthomas"
A John Lennon fan then?

Then you have been very lucky. Every year all around the world news reports show cars that have drowned trying to cross flooded areas. I guess BMW thinks its clientelle is sufficiently intelligent to know that the car is not designed for fording creeks and floods like Land Rovers and Jeeps. IIRC, the BMW manual also does not mention the inadvisability of running the car in a closed, unventilated garage. Perhaps they should be told?

Like the warning label on electric heaters "Do not use in the shower" or on the dessicant packages that come packed with electronics "Do Not Eat!"?
Your all over inflated ego planks sorry yanks on this web site, who are related to the potatoe and as "Clarkson" says have been breeding with vegatables for years. Your preident speaks voulumes for you.plus your cars sell so well ouside of the USA and we supply all your indy car engines!
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:54:54 -0400, "bradthomas"

In other words, you're saying "am I bothered?".
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:54:54 -0400, "bradthomas"

Learn to spell or shut up you make it worse for the rest of us.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

That's a good suggestion. While he is learning to spell, you can learn to put together a sentence.

I just wonder who the 'us' is.
Here, to me, 'us' is those BMW enthusiasts who choose to read this group.
Nothing else matters.
--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

I was thinking of us in the way of BRITS

Judging by some of the shite written here by a few I'm glad to be a Scot. ;-)
--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

No Chance Oops! No chance

That makes no sense at all. None.
"We supply all of your Indy Car engines." Who is "we"? The Indy cars on my TV have Honda motors, which come from Japan if my memory serves. "We" don't supply all of anything, loser.

Actually I think you will find that about 98% of the Indy cars are either built in the UK or are fabricated from parts made in the UK especially the Carbon Fibre tubs that protect the driver and that everything else is hung on.
Many of the power plants (engines) are built in the UK too maybe not that much now although I'll agree it appears that the basic stock comes from Japan but HONDA actually make many of their race car parts in the UK factory and not Japan.

Except that you're wrong. 1) Dallara is an ITALIAN company (which builds and manufactures about 1/2 the cars), and 2) the PANOZ chassis is owned by the US Elan Motorsports (which also does AMLS, IMSA and NASCAR stuff) and is built in Georgia, USA.
Oh, yes, BTW. All the Champ Cars are Panoz chassis, built in Georgia.
FloydR

Ok but the drivers are shit and that's why a Brit won Indy!

A Canadian (Paul Tracy) won the Champ race last weekend, Dario Franchitti (a Scottish-born Italian) won the Indy race, and Juan Pablo Montoya (Argentine) won the NASCAR race. That's what makes USA great. I'm glad you're back in the UK.
FloydR
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:58:47 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

I thought they said Montoya was born in Columbia? Either way, I could easily be wrong. How did this topic go from "Look at how stupid I am for driving my car through a flooded area, it MUST be the manufacturers fault" to who makes what for whom??? The dumb ass that started this topic did a wonderful job of steering the subject away from his stupidity.
I won't even start on the Brits. Lovely people but they have thier share of issues...

And now we have Gordon Brown ---- Arrrrgh!
Bush seem so intelligent now