From 7 series to X5 ??

Hi I have owned 2 BMW 740s, and lately a 745Li.

I am thinking of moving to an X5. All of them seem very thirsty by comparison to my 7 series, with the exception of the 3.0d. However, I'm going for a test drive in one tomorrow hopefully.

Can anyone offer any points to note on buying an X5?? Is there anything in particular which is a must to have?? Also, the 7 series seems to depreciate heavily in comparison to the X5's.

I'm just generally interested in any views on the X5, as a vehicle, and maybe any views on depreciation. (in particular the 3.0d)

Thanks in advance

Paul '98 740 Sport '00 740 Sport '02 745Li

Reply to
Paul Aspinall

If you find the X5 feels a bit heavy, try an X3. I have all three--745Li, X5 and X3. The 745 is a dream to drive although the electronics (Xdrive) are overkill. The X5 has more luxury than the X3 but the sportier feel of the X3 I find to my liking. Also the '05 model's CD player also plays mp3s, the best thing ever. Bluetooth is great too.

Reply to
John

I have had three 735's (two manual's) and currently a 740.

I had a drive in a relative's X5. They live in the sticks and he has a job that sometimes takes him off road, so a 4x4 is justified.

Although a lot better than say a Pajero, the whole drive an ride was rather wallowy and reminiscent of an American car or a Lexus. Most modern saloon cars feel better than this.

If you have a genuine need for a 4x4 (e.g. farmer, civil engineer, tow yachts etc.) then get an X5 or a Range Rover, otherwise stick to a 7 series or at worst get a an old 4WD 5 series.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I was thinking the same - swapping my E65 730d for an X5 3.0d. You are right about the depreciation. However, I then thought about other considerations - comfort - the E65 must be better in this respect. Then how about running costs? Those tyres on the X5 are probably much more than those on my 730d SE. Also, I'll get better fuel consumption.

Finally, the X5 is starting to show it's age now - the dash is based on the old E39. The E65 is much more modern ( assuming you like that sort of thing.)

After all these considerations, I decided to stay with my E65, although I know I'll take the hit when it comes to trade in time - however, that's at today's values. With the government possibly about to declare war on 4x4s after the election, the cost of running one might escalate so much as to have an effect on future trade in values - look what happened to hot hatches when nobody could afford to insure them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Garey

Hi Steve,

Yeah, I know what you mean. However, mine is a 745Li E66.... I'm not sure if they'll be declaring war on me also.

My consumption figures, quoted by BMW are: Urban (mpg): 17.8 Extra Urban (mpg): 33.2 Combined (mpg) 25.2

I currently only work 9 miles from home, so thats not bad. However, if I change jobs, I'll be taking a huge hit on fuel. Not looked up the X5 3.0d consumption figures, yet, but I expect they'll be similar. I'll check them now!!

I'm also thinking about getting an older shape 530d. I'm not keen on the new shape 5 series.

Why do the 7 series depreciate so much?? They're such good cars, I can't understand why the price falls so dramatically... especially from 30k... Does anyone have any predictions as to values of 745Li in future?? or possibly future predictions for other models.... I'm starting to take an interest in depreciation costs...... probably a bit late now that I've had the car for 12 months!!!, and 2 740's prior to that!!

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Aspinall