Front "fog" lights

OK, My gran had a BMW which whenever it went into the dealer (Farnboro' Hampshire) we found the front fog lights switched On

Why?

Reply to
Tom

The service bay was dark?

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Because somebody hit the button.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Probably an element of truth there :-)

However as she does not have a handbook**** I would be interested if BMW believe that front fogs are essential for BMW driving

*** Most handbooks call them driving lights or additional lights and warn on their legal use - wondered if BMW states something similar
Reply to
Tom

In the UK, fog lamps are just that - only to be used in conditions of poor visibility, other than just darkness. Hence their low mounted position. Driving or additional lamps are to supplement the main beam.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps to 'prove' they'd been checked as part of the service? Same way as they leave a sticker on the spare wheel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The difference is the beam pattern.

Dricig lights throw a concentrated beam stright down the road.

Fog lights throw a short but very wide beam.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Tom wrote on Sat, 21 Oct 2006 17:25:49 GMT:

Whenever my 320 has an MOT it always ends up with both foglight buttons depressed when I pick it up. They probably just tested the lights and didn't switch them back off again.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

I was possibly being ever so slightly paranoid / facetious (not sure which / bit of both maybe :-) - I think they are only allowed in fog and the headlights must be on, fogs only operate effectively with the dipped headlights off so its silly innit?

Reply to
Tom

I've only ever found fog lights to be of any use when visibility is down to inches. I probably haven't used fronts for 15 years and I use the rears maybe once every couple of years.

Reply to
adder1969

All the BMWs I've owned allow the fogs to be used without headlights - as you say they'd be pointless otherwise. Other countries may have different regs, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't you hate drivers who don't know how to switch them off and drive ona clear night with rear fog lights blazing...?

...and don't get me started on drivers who don't know how to engage the handbrake at traffic lights and just hold the footbrake shining their high level LED brake lights into my eyes!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Robinson

I was hoping someone else would ask, but nobody has.

What is the purpose of fog lights in the rear? I assume it is just for visibility.

Reply to
joe_tide

Yes - and not only in fog. Very heavy daylight rain and heavy snow too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the UK, it's something like you should only use them if visibility is less than 100 metres. Generally if I find it difficult to see the car in front of me then I'll switch on my rear fogs *unless* the car behind is close enough that I'm sure he/she can see me anyway.

Reply to
adder1969

The purpose is to be seen. If you've established difficulty in seeing a car ahead because of the poor conditions and it isn't using rear guard fog lights, you should switch yours on - regardless of who or what is behind you, as that is beyond your control. If in such conditions they dazzle the driver behind, he's driving too close and should drop back - indeed in poor weather many drive too close simply to keep 'in contact' with the vehicle in front.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:52:37 +0100, "Spack" waffled on about something:

Don't worry, you'll blend in perfectly with most of the people on the M25 for at least 2 weeks following a slight bit of mist!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Dodgy wrote on Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:20:47 +0100:

I never said I didn't turn them off when I pick the car up. So far I think I've had my rear fogs on once in very heavy mist, and haven't had need of the fronts. :)

And you won't catch me on the M25 if I can ever help it - it's bad enough having to use the M42 which is right near where I live, with the Active Traffic Management system trial, and the M6 Toll which so far I've managed to avoid using.

Dan

Reply to
Spack

Trying to get educated since I never heard of rear fog lights until now:

What color are the fog lights front & rear? The ones here in the U.S. are only on the front and they are white (clear).

I am assuming the rears are not white since that may indicate someone is coming right at you (headlights).

Reply to
joe_tide

"joe_tide" wrote

They are a very bright red color. Most Porsches have them. They are 2-3 times brighter than brake lights (which are about twice as bright as taillights). Daniel Stern has particulars, I think on his website.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers