Front wheels shake when braking esp at higher speed

Hi folks. I have a 1998 528i and have been experiencing this problem lately during braking. I feel a strong shaking on my steering everytime I step on the brakes and the car is running past 40 mph. I'm hoping this is something I can fix myself. Your help is much appreciated.

Reply to
Max

Sounds like warped rotors...

Reply to
Joe C

chances are your disks are warped and need to be replaced, change the pads too or they will f*&k up the new disks!

Reply to
SharkmanBMW

I had that just last week and it was the thrust arm bushes - a common problem apparently

Not expensive - approx £30 a side plus about £80 labour with aftermarket engineer in the UK

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

Assuming the mileage is over about 60,000, and they haven't already been done, my bet is the radius arm bushes. They are certainly DIY fixable if you change the arms complete.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My first inclination is that you have warped brake rotors. These should run in the neighborhood of about $50 each, you need two. The brake pads are about $50 for the axle-set, so for around $150 you can get a pile of parts on your garage floor that will go on your car pretty easily.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It has high chances of being related to the brake pads. If they're too "street"-oriented, they'll tend to leave pad-material on the rotors when used hard. See the following:

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

Strange. All my cars since the '60s have had disc brakes - and I've never had a warped one. Of course I'm probably just lucky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Worn front shocks can cause this, as well as worn steering and suspension bushes.

Steve

Reply to
Tbird-Steve

Dave, I'm sure that by now you realize that warp discs just happen more often on the left side of the Atlantic. Just like oil gets dirtier much quicker and people NEED more space.

Reply to
Ignasi Palou-Rivera

Or just move to Manchester, they are warping left right and centre up here!! Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Turnbull

I've only had warped rotors once or twice in all my years and all of my cars ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I must have received your share, Dave. I've had rotors warp on several different cars. One SAAB 9000 we had was particularly prone to getting the braking shakes. I eventually got rid of them by getting a good set of rotors (zimmerman), ran them for about 6 months and then pulled them off (just the fronts) and had them turned by a machine shop. They only had to skim a very small amount, but it made all the difference.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound