Fuel Level Troubles on an E46

I'm on my 2nd E36 that had fuel level problems where it was reported that the tank was empty after I had filled it.

My daughter has an E46 that displays remaining fuel/distance but is actually empty and the local tow truck is in the immediate future. .

My E36s required me to pull the fuel level sensors and clean the contact strip, but I'm not sure what the repair is for the E46 because the symptom set is opposite that of the E36.

Do you of you guys have experience with the E46 reporting that there is remaining fuel (and distance) but limps to the side of the roadway as the fuel pump is sucking air?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I haven't seen this (yet) - and I've driven my 2001 325Cic E46 down below "40 miles remaining" on the dashboard... I hope it's a simple fix!

Reply to
Jerry

In my case, the gauge used to show near full for a long period of time, and then suddenly start racing towards the empty mark. The low fuel warning light was always pretty accurate. I don't have an onboard computer (mine is a stripped down version with no options other than the sunroof) so I never had something to tell me remaining distance.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Lowest I've gone is 30 miles reported left without any problems. Not heard of the problem till your post. Let us all know if you get to the bottom of it.

Ranger

Reply to
Ranger