Fuel Smell - Defrost

I get a fairly powerful gasoline smell when I use the defrost.

I assume I have a fuel line leak and whatever the configuration of vents/baffles the defrost setting has is the only time it is directed to me.

Anyone got any experience other than that?

Thanks! a.

Reply to
the_andrew_smith

Hello,

I also had this in my '92 525i, check the rubber fuel lines just after you shortly started the car and shut it down. When you let the engine heat up the fuel will evaporate immediatly, therfor you need a cold engine. Starting it shortly will pressurize the fuel lines, so a leak can easily be seen/smelled.

Best regards, Marcel, '92 snipped-for-privacy@358.xxx km

Reply to
Vollebregt, M

Some VAGUE idea of what year/model you're waffling on about might be of use..

Of course if that's too much trouble..

And I have lots of experiences other than that. What ones do you want to hear about?

Reply to
admin

How about the one in Vegas with the three strippers?

That said, the original poster has a gas leak. It does not take a lot of gas leak to make a very strong smell. With the high pressure the BMW fuel systems run at, it does not take a lot of rubber damage to produce a leak, and it doesn't take long for a small leak to turn into a large one.

Pop the hood, start the engine, and start looking at the fuel lines. You may not see much other than a slight darkening. You may have to feel it. But you'll sure smell it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I was thrown off by the specification that the Defroster was part of the trouble. I would follow your idea if the issue was posted as occurring whenever the ventilation system was in use because the air intake is in the vicinity of where fuel might be leaking in the engine bay. I can't think of a particular issue that involves fuel and the defroster but does not involve fuel and the ventilation system. Perhaps the OP keeps the vent system off unless he is defrosting ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

As Vollebregt said if it's an M20. There's a couple of 3" fuel flexi hoses by the fuel rail, and you may be able to see fuel stains.

Reply to
Ali

Many modern vehicles automatically open the fresh air intake when the defroster is enabled. Helps overcome all the humidity produced by the occupants breathing...

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

The air conditioner also does that, but I think the AC does not turn on just because the vent selection is to blow air at the windshield. Having said that, the recirc. is also not selected or de-selected just because one desires to blow air onto the glass. My Ford decides if I want the AC on or not, and frankly I haven't figured out what makes Recirc operate (other than the Max AC selection), but when I select the setting to blast air on the windshield, my truck decides that I must want the AC to blow too. In my BMW, I can make these choices independently of one another.

My point being, I can't think of any setting on my BMW that would make fuel come into the cabin on Defrost only.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland