gas prices (kinda OT)

Page 1 of 4
hey everyone
I'm from Croatia (europe) and I'm just wondering, what are the gas prices at where *you* live?
here the average gas price is somewhat less than $1.50 per liter.
and....they predict it's gonna be close to $2 a liter next year... I'm driving a bmw 320i e30 ....having avg consumption about 11-12l/100km, this looks like a problem :(
Filip
filip wrote:

In Holland, gasoline is about EUR 1.30 a liter, which is $1.57. (Incidentally, that's almost $6.00 to the gallon)

Depends on what place in holland, where i live: 1.39,9 (1,40) btw my 325 e36 driver 10L/100Km
Which gallon? (I suppose I could work it out from your numbers...)
DAS
"Peter Bozz" < snipped-for-privacy@rama.com> wrote in message
news:42c5144d$0$60131$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...
"Dori A Schmetterling" wrote

Looks like the US gallon (3.785 liter).
Pete
Your fuel consumption is fair for commuting. If it is a manual and you take it on the open road and keep it steady below 120km/h, you should be able to get almost 9l/100km. If not, have it dyno tuned. It improved my power and consumption by 15%. Ignition timing was too retarded.
Your gas price seems a bit high already, in South Africa it is currently still under $1 per litre.
MW

well
the car is stick...i drive it normally, sometimes fast. so 11-12 is what I expected. On open road about 10. but....you mentioned retarded ignition...usually when i start my car...first just insert key and turn it for control check and lights, when i start it - it usually takes him 2 seconds to start...i find that a bit retarded, every other car i had, started immediatelly when i turned the key to ignition...
any advices?
10l/100 is ok. If you want to get better than that with a 320 e30, you need to be a very economical driver. Most people just can't do it!
Don't bother with a dyno if you can still get that kind of consumption. My best was 11.5l/100 before the dyno.
Fast ignition timing, will give you better consumption and power at speed, but will cause pinging when you pull away with low revs. This does not bother me. If your timing is retarded, you get a nice pull away with no pinging but the engine has no power at high revs. That was my experience with my 320 at least.
Regards MW

I dunno. I'm satisfied with my engine's strength at both low and high rpms. it's a 1988, and i managed to drive it about 205kmh a couple of weeks ago, and I find it fast for a 320i.
And about pinging - you mean like little pulls during low revs? it only happens to me just when i start the car, for the first 5-6 seconds i drive off. after that, it drives normally.
Tomorrow I will maybe sell the car. I'm gonna go to the car fair (like a big selling yard) and if I get more money than I paid for (possible 'cause i bought it *very* cheaply), I'm gonna sell it and buy an e34. (525 hopefully)
sorry for the offtopic.
Filip
1 US$ litre. Country: Chile.
10Lt/100Km
--
Don Corleone
Mercedes Benz 190e 2.3 negro

Southern California. As of 6-20 (my last fill) It was $2.399/gallon. or, $0.633/liter. I think that comes out to 0.529 EUR per Liter. Yeah, and Americans STILL bitch about "skyrocketing fuel prices!" I think we are just spoiled. Then again, everyone here has to have the biggest SUV or truck on the market.
Yeah, and

my thoughts EXACTLY :)) man, you must have the biggest SUVs in the world! I once saw a Dodge Ram, I couldn't believe that it's actually a "normal car" there (us) :))

they get their license. A mother will drive a Ford Excursion with two kids in the back to soccer practice. Its crazy! I would love to see some report come out to show the national average fuel economy for the countries around the world. Then, when the US comes in at the very bottom of the list with 12mpg or less, then the American Public MIGHT change a little (as the rest of the world laughs at us!) Yes, I have a Dodge Dakota, Yes, it has a 5.2 liter V8, I drive it about 2000 miles a year.The other 10,000 miles take place on a motorcycle.
Be thankful for those of us that don't live in Norway and have to pay the last I heard $6.67 a gallon!
I"ve always been anti-smart but..................
Trey wrote:

How trendy to bash US drivers because there are a fraction that waste fuel. Can you say - Generalization?
I am 100% certain that the average US driver does not get 12 mpg. I mean come-on, I get that if I drive my Explorer w/ 5.0L V8 pulling my boat trailer, which is almost all the mileage that car gets. The rest of the time I drive one of my cars, which all get 24 mpg or better.
Are there people in the US that drive gigantic SUVs everyday. No doubt there are... but (thankfully) they are a small minority.
If anyone really wanted to see signs of fuel gluttony, look around you at all of the other vehicles, even the 40mpg "econo-boxes" the next time you are in your daily commute. Almost every one of those cars has a single person in it. Even a Dodge Ram can get better efficiency than a one of the ultra mileage economy cars if we haul 3 or 4 people in one.
But I personally probably use less fuel than 98% of vehicle owners worldwide, and I'm a motorhead auto enthusiast. How so? My commute is via the internet. I don't even have to share the fuel use that the bus or commuter train burns.
-Fred W

If I could, I would walk to work. As for your comment about the dodge ram getting better mileage per person, basically (if they car pooled) Well, I will take that one even further. The 22 freeway (near my house) is serving about 200,000 cars per day, and most of them, as you say, have one person in them. If all the commuters shared their car with one other person, then there would be close to half that number of cars on the freeway, That would be that many fewer cars to fill the freeway and that much less traffic. With the less traffic, there is a higher average speed. going from an average of 30 mph to 60 mph, the cars would be able to run at a steady speed (which is more fuel efficient) and the cars would be able to run in over drive, running the engine at a lower RPM for its speed, compared to 30... My truck for example, it has the in car gas mileage read out, at 30 mph, I get about 8-10 mpg, if I am going 65, I get 16-18 mpg. Come to OC some time, Yes, there are a lot of smaller economy-type cars, but I would say the trucks and SUV are the majority here.

What I don't get is this:
Every time people talk about SUVs or oversized trucks, the standard example is the "soccer moms" using them: moms driving their kids to soccer practice, and how nuts that is (which it is).
The question is: with the proliferation of soccer moms and their SUVs and all the soccer practice going on in the US, how come US soccer sucks?

ROTFL:)))) Anax

Because its not soccer!! its Day care for the kids while the moms run errands... Like, getting their hair and nails done. Also, the term 'soccer mom' does not just pertain to soccer. its more along the lines of the 'active mom' that has her Chauffeur hat on. Soccer, baseball, hockey, football, basket ball... what ever it is. Its often a mom in a Chevy or GMC Suburban. (now a Yukon XL or H2) That just drives around all day with her vehicle mostly empty.
It may not suck that much longer.
1) I heard it's the most widely-played sport at school level. 2) The Hispanics are mad about it.
It's just that the US pro world has to be persuaded that football (the real one) is the Beautiful Game....
news:42cb9b4f$0$81577$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...