Getting hail damage repaired on 2006 530

This is kind of a generic question, obviously not limited to BMWs.

I have a 2006 530xi and had the good fortune of being in Columbus, OH a week or so ago, when a tornado\hail storm rolled through. I wasn't driving at the time, just parked at the hotel.

The hail was pretty rough and I'd say there is about 40-50 dents in the car(roof, hood, trunk). Obviously I'm looking to have it repaired and I have the proper insurance coverage. Both the Repair shop and later the insurance agent both said they would use\recommend the drill, pull, sand repaint method to fix the dents. Of course, both assured me the car would be like new when I got it back.

My friend believe I should stomp and scream and demand they completely replace the hood, trunk and roof, versus what he calls the puddy and paint approach. Looking on the web, I see a fair amount of talk about Paintless Dent Repair, is it odd that neither the body shop nor the Insurance agent mentioned this ? I see it's alot cheaper (roughly $1500 to the $3900 the insurance agent is paying)

So in short, what's the best fix for my new car. Is it realistic to expect the Insurance Company is going to flip the bill for having the damage panels completely replaced ? Or is th methind they are using a solid option.

Thanks for your thoughts and expeeriences

Dale

Reply to
Dale "Mad_Murdock" White

Paintless dent removal works very well. Tho, if you have enough dents on the hood and trunk, it may be cheaper to replace these... but you cannot replace the roof! The only issue with replacements is paint matching, try the paintless way first... I would NOT let them drill and pull then repaint unless absolutely desperate.

Reply to
SharkmanBMW!

I've heard nothing but good things about this process and no bad things. It'd be what I would try.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

How does it work?

Reply to
Grumps

Had this happen to my 2001 E39. There are many panels on the BMW that can't be reached by the paintless dent repair method.

True.

Probably required for roof and fender panels. The whole car will need to be repainted.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Any panel that has no paint damage is a candidate. They have a collection of tools with which they work the dent from behind the panel. It's a real art and a full collection of tools is expensive. It's great for door dings, etc. and cheaper than traditional methods.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll o back and talk to the dealer repair shop and see why they didn't suggest PDR.

I myself, didn't see any fender damage, just the hood, roof and trunk, the roof has about 20 or so dents in it, though I guess it could have been more, but I have a sunroof

Dale

Reply to
Dale "Mad_Murdock" White

Thanks for the response, Guess I'll push the dealership and Insurance agent fo rmore details on why they didn't suggest that

Dale

Reply to
Dale "Mad_Murdock" White

They didn't suggest it because most dealerships don't do PDR, they sub it out. It sounds like your agent and the dealership are good ole buddies.

Reply to
joe_tide

Should be a no-brainer for PDR then, even with a sunroof.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Well, that's possible, but I went to my Dealership's repair shop first and 2 days later went to my agent. I hadn't told the agent where I was gong to get the repairs done at. I figured the Insurance Agemt would have pushed for the cheaper repairs first, But he was the one that talked about the drill and fill method and never suggested PDR

I can see the dealership not mentioning it, just strikes me odd that the Insurance Agent didn't make the pitch. Then again, maybe he saw something that I didn't and knew that PDR wouldn't meet the need

Reply to
Dale "Mad_Murdock" White