Getting rid of cigarette smells?

Does anyone have any good tips for getting rid of cigarette smells from fabric seats?

Good luck with that. You can repeatedly mask the smell with products such as Fabreeze until you are no longer aware that the smell remains. I am not aware of any product that will actually take the smell out. If you are a non-smoker you will always smell the smoke that the previous owner imparted into the interior of the car.
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Finally, a good reason for leather seats!
I read a tip a few years back of leaving an open can of ground coffee in a closed car to get rid of offensive odors - might be worth a try.
Tom K.
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:42:16 -0400, "Tom K."

The version I heard was a bag of freshly cut grass.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Dodgy wrote:

Yikes. That could get expensive, especially if you get pulled over and they see that bag of weed in the back seat.
Oh, you mean lawn clipping... ;-)
I still think I'd rather sniff the aroma of coffee.
--
-Fred W

waffled on about something:

Blimee, I must have been slow when I typed that, I didn't even twig what I was writing!

I think I'd rather have the lawn cuttings... Probably because my office is just down the road from some coffee processing plant and I get the smell whenever the wind blows my way.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

I used coffee on my rugs when my dog ran into a skunk, and it worked good

Removing smells is harder than removing the person making them!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However, at one time airlines use cold water and DAZ detergent to remove nicotine stains from airliner headlining and other parts (headlining on cars is the came.)
Another way in the old days was to remove the seats and hot pressure wash with detergent but with the modern seat mechanics this might be impractical.
You could remove the seats and then the covers and wash them????
Modern odor absorbers might be able to help - Neutrodol - is one carbon based spray the is claimed to remove odours and smells but remember the carpets too.
Have you had the car valeted? Detailed? Might be worth an investigation. At one time we ran a valeting service and got the chemicals from a franchise operator "Auto-Smart" It's a US based operation but operates in other countries (UK for one) try yellow pages.
And yes the coffee trick is useless.................BTDT
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:02:21 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Today's Heloise syas that waving around a cloth dampened with vinegar is the cure for smoke odor in the house, so perhaps wiping auto upholstery with a cloth dampened with white vinegar would work?
-- Larry
put a kipper under the seat that will hide the ciggy smoke smell

I'll second this. Vinegar seems to work. The easiest way is to take an electric kettle on an extension cord, put some (white!) vinegar in it and let it boil in the car with the doors and windws closed. You'll probably have to do it more than once. Ozone works too but isn't as easy (or cheap) to get.
John Burns wrote:

Get an ozone generator, leave in car for a while. Careful with stuff that doesn't react too well with ozone. So don't leave it in too long.
Repeat as needed.
--
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches. -- Benjamin Franklin

When I got married, long ago, one put a herring into the car's air intake. It was during the winter. ..... Believe me the odor was stronger than the cigarillo's one !

leave shakeand vac for a couple of days If you can before vacuming?
Also the air freshners that combat tobacco is supposed to work - It took me ages to get rid of the smell and even months and months later when I got into the car when cold and damp I could still get a "whiff"
frischmoutt wrote:

John Burns wrote:

A good Cuban cigar?