GM and BMW to cooperate on fuel cells?

Yo dude.

Just curious but, in your country, are you considered "a bit unusual" or "perfectly normal"? It's just that I'm planning my next summer break and would like to make an informed choice.

I bow to your superior knowledge of such matters. Previously, I had thought that the damage caused by child abuse would remain with the victim and perp for the remainder of their lives.

Are you on medication?

Too late.

Well, the weird sig is gone!

Anyway, good of you to respond to the issues I raised about your first post. Those points continue uncontested then?

Reply to
Zathras

When you said: "Excellent, I could do with something more likeable. Warmer would be good. My BMW is a laughing stock in the snow," and then proceeded to vaguely discuss the wheel options and dealer cost of the same. You obviously already looked into it to some extent. Any more questions?

Been there, done that. I have a set of winter wheels and snow tires for 3 of 4 cars. The 4th car doesn't have the ground clearance or temperament for snow. I didn't buy any of the wheels from the dealer. You seem to think that the dealer is the only option, I pointed out that there are cheaper ways to do it.

But seeing as you're being coy about what vehicle it is that you're actually talking about then how could anyone even take a guess at what wheels and tires for it would cost?

If that's the way you want to read it, then fine ...

I wouldn't ride *any* motorcycle in the snow. Only a nutter would do that.

Reply to
Dean Dark

You misunderstood. Also, you completely disregarded the context of my statement. You seem to have taken it considerably more seriously than originally intended!

You misunderstood.

It never occurred to you that advice might be unnecessary. Are you stuck in some bygone era before forums, Google and eBay etc?

2008 325d M-Sport saloon.

Nothing's changed.

You don't sound very adventurous, but, I don't consider this pair "nutters":

Zathras

That's interesting. Although I've never measured them, my mother's SE disks on 17 inch wheels look quite a bit smaller than mine on 18 inch wheels. I suppose it could be an optical illusion. BMW did claim that my M-Sport did have up rated brakes compared to lesser models. Don't worry about it though.

That would be the sensible option (if it's possible) as that would allow a higher profile tyre.

Thanks for doing the research. However, I'm not getting winter tyres at the moment.

Reply to
Zathras

The whole issue, including what you had said and then changed your mind about seemed odd, and worthy of question as to what you actually meant. That's regardless of whatever context you *think* that you implied.

Well, you've put some time and effort into discussing how expensive you think they are in a few messages now, though. A reasonable person might conclude that you want them, but you can't afford them from the dealer, no? Why else all the responses the discussion?

I misunderstood that you said that winter tires would be too expensive for you?

What on *earth* does "some bygone era before forums, Google and eBay etc" have to do with it? How does the medium alter the message? Would you invalidate Archimedes' work because it was written on vellum?

Methinks you say that because you're running out of ideas with which to defend your very tenuous position and now you're clutching at straws. I guess it must be important to you though? Me? I'm just bursting some bubbles, I sometimes do this for entertainment.

Is that all? I figured it must have been at least a wickedly-tuned late model M5 or something like that, the way you were talking.

Indeed.

Anybody who rides a motorcycle in the snow by choice is definitely a nutter.

But hey! At least you've looked up and learned the difference between beemers, beezers and bimmers. You won't make that mistake again, will you? Or are you going to somehow try and pretend that you meant 'beemer' all along? That would be interesting, and it would definitely maintain my interest in this thread.

Reply to
Dean Dark

This is a good thing or a bad thing?

It makes perfect sense that the development of alternative technologies could be a cooperative operation.

I'm not getting the question...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

So you *really* think that my reply to Mac F was to be taken verbatim? If I'd known in advance that you would take it seriously, I'd have put up a warning.

Incorrect assumptions. I glanced at 3 BMW flyers (sent over time) and have bought wheels and tyres (from elsewhere) in the past.

Incorrect assumptions (again).

Doh. Google is a search engine where answers to a great many things can be found (like tyres and wheels). eBay is an on-line auction where a market value can be ascertained and things bought and sold (like tyres and wheels). Forums are places where people converse on (typically) specific matters (like car issues). Do you need help with any other modern technology who's relevance escapes you?

Even more invention on your part then.

I note with interest, no mention of the cost even though I've supplied the information you requested. I'll take it as read that you're can't back up any of your guesswork with figures. This being the main issue of course and one you seem unable to put to bed. You're certainly keen to make smoke and hide from this matter.

LOL.

Nope.

No mistake..also I was (partially) taunting you..sorry.

I meant beemer and I said beemer. The cars are called beemers round here - hardly anybody has or had the bikes. Indeed, I'd be surprised if many outside of the biker world (or BMW magazine) even know BMW still make bikes. If that's a cultural difference then so be it.

My pleasure.

Reply to
Zathras

Ask SAAB (rip) or Fiat.

If the question is about technology exchange then the next question might be why GM had to pay Fiat 1.55 billion euros to get out of their deal. IIRC, the rumour was that Fiat got a bit hacked off sending lovely high tech diesel engines to GM only for them to send Fiat much less lovely petrol engines in return.

As long as BMW knows what it's doing, it'll be fine..er..?

Reply to
Zathras

Seriously? Nah, just some tail-tweaking.

Your "my BMW is a laughing stock in the snow" was not meant to be taken verbatim? So it goes well in the snow with summer tires? Wow.

Then you already know that they can be had for a lot less than BMW wants for a set.

You *didn't* say that winter wheels and tires are too expensive for you? I could have sworn that you did.

This makes your apparent belief that wheels and tires for a BMW can only be purchased from a BMW dealer even more puzzling. You seem to be vaguely aware of modern computer and information technology perhaps you need to work on learning when it's appropriate to use it?

Well, you *were* making it out to be something very special and potent, weren't you?

At this point, the cost is kind of irrelevant, isn't it? You know that I know ways get a far better deal than the dealer offers. Your claimed familiarity with modern computer technology and methods will get you that same information, if you have the wit to apply it properly.

Very cute. Do you know any more of that AOL "insider" computer jargon?

Well, my mistake. I guess that some people cannot or will not learn.

"Taunting" me? That's funny, though I can't imagine why you would think it was somehow a "taunt."

You're a "that's the way we do it around here, boy" type? That's very telling. It's probably the most pathetic excuse ever invented for getting something wrong.

You really don't know much about BMW at all, do you? Do you live in some Mississippi backwater surrounded by mouth breathing old Chevy pickemup drivers who think that only Harley Davidson makes motor cycles? That's the same narrow minded thinking that you seem to have about winter wheels.

Thank you. Please proceed. And feel free to digress some more.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Ding!

I'm actually an expert driver and this is my third year without problem in the snow. The car has always got me from the desired starting point to the desired ending point in all weathers. I can even manage it with rather well worn rears too. *If* you understand any of this, you might be coming closer to why I've no need of winter tyres BTW.

How much do you think I should pay then? Go on, you can tell me..

Feel free to quote where I said it.

Feel free to quote where I said it.

Not as vague as *your* BMW knowledge appears to be.

Feel free to quote where I said it.

Maybe you have difficulty with the difference between a proper M car and an M-Sport car? It would neatly explain a couple of things..

Ooo..I wasn't expecting..more smoke.

Continue to think what you like.

LIU.

Learn what exactly? I've learnt NOTHING from you about BMWs and such has been the quality of your responses so far that I'm not expecting to learn anything from you about BMWs in the future either. Feel free to alter that any time you like though..I won't bite.

..'cos it worked..?

..and still is working..

Coming from you, that IS an insult! Remind me again, the difference between M-Sport and M, the price I should pay for winter wheels and tyres......?? Pretty please...??? Nah..thought not.

Now you think I'm in the US? From someone as computer savvy as yourself, I'm a bit surprised at that gift. Hint, try looking at the headers in Agent. If that's too complicated, I never called my car a sedan earlier.

If narrow minded means asking a straight question and never getting the answer then I'm narrow minded, I'll freely admit it to the world.

As you wish.

Hah..I'll leave that part in your capable hands.

Reply to
Zathras

Children!

'Tis the Season of Goodwill.

DAS

Reply to
DAS

It was supposed to mean, "my BMW drives like a champ in the snow?"

You have a very strange way with words. You'll need to explain precisely what you *did* mean, then.

Oh, that's priceless! Give me a moment to savour it. Mmmmm!!

That is so funny. It's almost worthy of a sig.

Who told you that you are an "expert driver" then? Your mother?

And three years without a problem! Wow! You're a grizzled old veteran!

So, you can always get there in the snow in a car with well-worn tires/tyres? Well, I suppose you really must be a veteran, expert driver then.

I'm not calling you a liar but, well, you're lying.

As I already said, you claim to know your way around and so you know where the discount wheel and tire dealer web sites, and eBay, and the other used/auction web sites are, don't you?

"Would be rather expensive though. ? I would strongly suspect I would need to get narrower winter rubber all round and that means new alloys that will go over M-Sport brakes. $$$$$"

and:

"..if you're a millionaire!"

Are those quotes good enough for you?

Like I said, winter wheels and tires seem to be too expensive for you.

"BMW keep sending me lovely offers but the cheapest they have (ugliest, too small to fit) *starts* at 700UKP. That's a lot of concrete!"

There's no mention of buying from anywhere other than BMW there, is there?

Was that quote good enough for you?

Oh, the irony ...

"I've got 255/35 ZR 18 on the back and max torque at virtually idling speed."

Is that quote good enough for you?

By the way, if you're enamoured with torque then you might be interested to know that some electric motors have *full* torque at

*zero* RPM.

Maybe you should get yourself a Prius?

The M-Sport package is far more about cosmetics than performance. It mostly sells to boy racers and chuckleheads like you who think that they are expert drivers.

See above. Do your own work. If you're a smart lad then you'll pay between 25% and 50% of dealer/retail. That's what I do.

It's you that's blowing smoke here.

What a snappy comeback! Got any more like that?

So, when does your AOL free trial run out?

It worked in what way? Your entire posting output here could be considered "taunts" if your definition is simply, as it seems to be, "something that invites a response."

OK, so we've established that you got it wrong about Beemers. We'll let it go, OK?

Like I said, the bulk of what idiots like you pay for when buying BMWs with M-packages is cosmetics. But hey, if that's what turns you on then go for it. You are an "expert driver," after all.

And I already told you where to get good deals on wheels and tires. It's not my fault that you don't have the wit to look things up.

Sheesh! What is it you were you saying about reading things verbatim earlier?

Didn't you learn about sarcasm, metaphor and rhetoric in school?

Should I have couched my metaphor in terms of The Gorbals for you?

I've given you the answer more than once. It's just that you're too thick to see it. Either that, or you're just blustering on and on because you've realised that you've painted yourself into a corner and you can't see a way out.

If you mean the ability to chip away at what you say until nothing meaningful remains, then yes, I think we can agree.

Reply to
Dean Dark

You have proven your point many times and yet he is unwilling or incapable of understanding. He should be thankful that stupidity isn?t painful.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You know, the Winter tires themselves are "free" because, while you are using them, you are saving wear on your Summer tires. The only real expense are the extra set of rims.

Your BMW deserves tires that are optimized for the seasons.

Reply to
dizzy

I can see where you're coming from but the wear still costs money..it's not free.

Reply to
Zathras

I thought I did, quite a few times, but it didn't work. Don't worry about it..really.

Police Class 1.

Reply to
Zathras

OK, then we'll put *that* one down to your (ahem) somewhat suspect memory as well.

And yet you drive in the snow on near-bald wide section summer tires?

I smell another porkie pie here.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Yes, in much the same way that the best solution to the old domestic dispute about whether to squeeze the toothpaste tube from the end or the middle, whether or not to replace the cap, etc., is to each have one's own tube of toothpaste.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dean Dark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Been there... Done that... Didn't get out of the parking lot...

Reply to
CollinLeon