good places to buy used engine & transmission for 1990 525i?

I am looking to replace my engine & transmission in my 1990 525i with 240k miles, with a used engine & auto transmission.
I am considering a place in Alabama but any other suggestions are much
appreciated!

These guys are in the UK but they do ship worldwide and they are *superb*. http://www.fabdirect.com/index10.htm Their stock is *extensive*.
JB
JB wrote:

..and *expensive*

Agreed. But the parts you get are checked and known to be good. I would think that alone is worth paying the extra for when buying an auto box. Not too easy to check out of the vehicle.
JB

wince - you almost don't want to know anthing about the donor car nor the circumstances that led it to being there in the first place....
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Indeed. OTOH a gear box has a heavy metal casing, is in the middle of the car and is used to having the full power of the engine pass through it. It would take a very energetic impact from an unusual direction (underneath) to break a gearbox, and it is extremely unlikely to suffer internal damage without extensive visual external damage.
Damage to the electronics due to fire or immersion is a possibility.
Damage to an engine is much more likely - the engine is near the front [corners], contains reciprocating parts and will suffer extensive damage if it continues to run following coolant or oil loss caused by peripheral external damage (e.g. split radiator)
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:32:43 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

<can't resist>
You're saying it has a lead gearbox?

Not at all. I could probably bend a lead gearbox case with a heavy blow from the side of my fist.
--
Dan.

No cast alloy, but lots of it. As opposed to dense (like lead and you).

Maybe, but you would certainly bend your fist.

Notgiven wrote:

Check Ebay autos - lots of wrecking yards put engines up for auction.

Look you live in Alabama, so cars don't corrode and a 1990 525i probably looks OK.
This car has a shot transmission and a blown exhaust gasket for openers.
I don't know what used BMW's go for in the USA, but in the UK any 1990 5 series would be lucky to break $1,000, and that's with a more reasonable 10k miles pa.
Maybe you might like to consider that even if all your posts about fixing this car are answered, whether it is worth fixing. How much did you pay for it then?

This is what the car shop owner suggested - he thought it would be worth replacing the engine and tranny. But if I factor in his labor, it takes me to ~$2700 which is about the price I saw a 1990 525i in good shape with 125k miles - the entirte car - would sell for on ebay.
I really like the car and hate the thought of giving it up but maybe it's time. Or maybe I will keep it as a hobby - nah, maybe not.
This may be a good option. Provided that the car for sale on ebay will not need another engine & tranny soon.
A lot has to do with the condition of your car with 240k. If there's a lot of work invested in it, ie....new parts, maintenance and upkeep done with the car, it may be worth fixing it. And that is if the body and paint is in good shape too. In that situation, the car is worth keeping in my opinion.
Hope this helps,
Will

Thanks WIll. The body is in good shape. The bumpers need a coat of paint and the headliner needs replacing or regluing,... As much as I REALLLLLLLLLY like the look of this car, I'm afraid I don't have the means or time to garage it and work on it myself until it's in shape enough to be a reliable car again. This saddens me but such is life.
Notgiven wrote:

In that case, perhaps your best option is to sell the shell for what it is worth to someone that needs/wants a project. The car is unlikley to be worth whatever you spend (at a pro mechanic) to make it streetable again. Cut your losses and go out and find another car...
--
-Fred W

Potomac German Auto. 1-800-275-4405. www.pgauto.com. This yard is the world's largest supplier of MB recycled parts, but also has quite a few Beemers.
Do you HAVE to replace with another auto tranny? Think about going manual.. spring for a new clutch kit, pedal assembly, and clutch hydraulics, and you'll probably get more life out your tranny than on the body..
this is all presumptive of you knowing how to operate a clutch, of course..

A good idea. Manual boxes are cheaper, less to go wrong, and (assuming you change gear gently) very long lived. You should be able to get one off a breakers' yard (lots around for 52x), and a good deal of its operation can be checked without power or even out of the car.

Many high mileage boxes have worn synchromesh on a couple of gears. Not really something that can be checked without driving. Although you could just replace the baulk rings for safety.
--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.