Greetings

Hello my name is Blake and I have come here because other BMW groups seem to be more interested in making money.
My interests are in the older 6er's, M3's and M5's. Right now I have a
1985 635csi that is heading to the blasters house to remove the many layers of paint. During this work I will document sources for parts as well as disecting the electronics and giving tips on getting a dead car running again when parts or service is not available (Like in some Idaho town or Russia.).
So be warned...I am coming to stay. I promise I will be good. ;-)
B.D.

Even on a 1985 car you do NOT want to remove the original paint back to bare metal, since BMW's treatment will do better than anything you can spray on now.

Is that the American tundra or the Russian mid-west?

Don't know where you're posting from, but BMW were early into water based paints which really aren't a patch on the two pack types that are still allowed in the UK for repair work.
Both my E34 and E39 had poor paint finishes by the standards of 50 years ago - let alone now.
--
*Windows will never cease *

What about the Blue Screen of Death?
Or is that just Ghost of Windows?
DAS
"Dave Plowman (News)" < snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...
Well I never like to go back to bare metal unless, like now, you have a car that has been painted 4 times. Another reason to do this is that , like cement, when paint finally dries out is begins to crumble.
I have looked at hot tanking the car to clean the metal inside and out, but I have read about issues of the solvent leaching out years later and ruining the paint. So I will proceed with the paint removal because its cost effective and I will achieve the finish I desire. I will personally do most of the prep work rust proofing and such, but a real pro will spray the final finish. I dont like American paints and will use 3m's Glasurit paints. When I am finished this shark will have a nice climate controlled garage to sleep in.
I agree that the factory finish is the best (Unless a GM car) but my car is very old and the paint is not up to the task anymore.
Blake
LOL! Rusian mid-west!
hello, you can also try this forum, excellent for the older cars... especiallly 5 series, e34. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/index.php ? they have NO interest in your money,,,,, NONE, just people that like to help out and are very knowledgeable.

Thanks. I will lurk around and see if I like it.
Blake
sounds good. you should make a blog and send us a link! dabrams
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Yes I have this in mind. Stay Tuned.

You don't have to proimise to be good, but a promise to not be bad would be refreshing ...
Ok. I promise not to be bad and to be a contributor.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Greeting Blake. Sounds like a fun project and I (for one) look forward to your posts. I lust for a fine 6'er, but unfortunately my garage and driveway (heck half of the yard) is already full of vehicles... ;-)
Good luck on your project, -Fred W