Hard starting....

I have a 2002 530 (49K miles) that over the last 2 years has been finicky about starting. about 30% of the time it would start on the first turn of the key, it does not matter what the weather is hot or
cold. I brought it in for service and asked them to look at this problem along with doing the maintenance that was required. They replaced a part (sorry cant remember the name) and this did not help, then the replaced the fuel pump, again no help. I brought it in almost a week ago and they can not figure it out. Anyone hoave this problem before? The techs are all stumped, they opened an incedent with BMW to work the problem... Any thoughts? time for a new car?
Thanks.
John

and I bet they charged you for the new parts that did not fix the problem. This is becoming the normal practice with many garages......I bet they are all stumped cos that means they get it back for more looks and charges.
The very first thing I would do is remove and send the ECU to an independent ECU service centre for assessment. In the UK this costs 30 and if a fault is found 150 to repair.
it might need hard start relay...common prob with these cars.
Turns out it was a fuel injector was leaking, they replaced it and everything seems fine. It only took a week.
btw, this was covered under warrentee, got a new fuel pump and injector for no charge....